Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - WE HAVE AN EGG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

WE HAVE AN EGG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: WE HAVE AN EGG

Yes its happened!

I came home from work yesterday to see a pickled onion on the bottom of the cage (!?) Further investigation proved that it wasnt a pickled onion it was a hollow broken egg and Milly was sat in the corner of the cage puffed up.

We took Hector, the cockateil out to let her have some peace and she was obviously acting wierdly. No more eggs came but we went to bed and this morning was another one. It was smahed with a yolk hanging out -I have questions that I DESPERATLY need answering ASAP

1) What shall I do with the eggs? She looked upset last night when I took it out to look at it, but she isnt sitting on it or anything
2) Should I get her a nest box?
3) What can I do to help her? Does she need different food or anything?
4) How often will this happen?
5) Any ideas how the eggs got smashed? Could have been hector but do they smash them themselves?

Any help would be appriciated

Sassy
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Firstly, I am assuming that you dont have a pair of Kakariki. If you have a cockatiel and Kakariki together in an indoor cage I would suggest the following:

1) Remove the eggs as they are of no value if broken.

2) Unless she is paired with a cock bird in an aviary I wouldn't suggest you add a nest box.

3) When laying eggs hens need additional levels of calcium. I would suggest a calcium powder supplement sprinkled on the soft food.

4) Hens will lay eggs whenever they feel the need to re-produce. That is something breeders would love to know. Then we could forward plan.

5) It sounds like the hen has laid the eggs from her perch. This is not uncommon when there is no nest box available.

Hope this helps answer your questions. You may want to consider finding her a Kakariki male friend and setting them up in an aviary. Sounds like she knows what happens from there <v>
Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice!

An avery would be a BAD idea, I'm in England and the tempriture is about -5 out there! IT IS FREEZING.

Yes she's in with a cockateil so no babies!

Thanks for the advice I feel better now!

Sassy
JohnV
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Sassy wrote:
Thanks for the advice!

An avery would be a BAD idea, I'm in England and the tempriture is about -5 out there! IT IS FREEZING.

Yes she's in with a cockateil so no babies!

Thanks for the advice I feel better now!

Sassy

Hi sassy,
I'm in herts, UK. I know what you mean... they'd need thermals on at the moment outside. My one's indoors in a large cage, she did have a mate (well, she's had two actually and outlived them both), now I've got her, my first chick (one week old) and three eggs in the box, and we're hoping the other three will hatch now they're due any day :). At leastwe've got somthing to remember the second male by!!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: