Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Question about sex
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Question about sex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Question about sex

Hello everyone. My name is Lotta and I live in Sweden and have had kakariki few years. Now I have taken care of a brother and sister, but I'm very unsure of their gender, but they said a female and a male. My own and their children have been easy to tell the difference between these two new but are so small, really small. They are 4 years old but less than my 2 month baby birds .. (my kakariki is like sumo wrestlers :)) I'm not sure of them that said, can someone cleverer than me see the gender difference?
Whoever is alone in the pictures - will certainly be a male, is that correct?
I hope I put the question in the right forum, english is not my forte.
(they moult some right now ...)
Grateful for the help :)

008.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.47 KB
 Viewed:  61 Time(s)

008.JPG

008.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.47 KB
 Viewed:  59 Time(s)

008.JPG

Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject:

sorry - 2 same picture
but here:

003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.33 KB
 Viewed:  66 Time(s)

003.JPG

Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject:

and both of the new

011.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.14 KB
 Viewed:  57 Time(s)

011.JPG

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject:

Top could be female next male thwe last to hard to tell the becks are not formed properly possible males..
The small size...well they do look a bit runty, beaks distored, feathers in not good condition...maybe the parents where on bad diets raiseing them???

And no issue with your English at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks, it was nice of you :) Well, they look all little tidbits out - they've only been with me for 1 week and I did not get as much info out of the girl who left them here ...
this card is on my own breeding Babbles father and his daughter on the right for 1 week ago :)

002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.92 KB
 Viewed:  58 Time(s)

002.JPG

Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject:

Left a self bred, thug, who woos the new one I asked about - he has even entered this guy. I've never had someone who fed guy to guy of my Kaks so therefore, I was not sure if there really is a guy on the right. On the left I have raised myself so that I know it is a male and it's quite a big difference to them which makes it so difficult to see what the two new ones for sex
Liar

027.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.15 KB
 Viewed:  53 Time(s)

027.JPG

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of those wooden dowel perches... I have no idea why bird cage manufactures persist in using them...
Get some good sized branches between 3/4 and 2" in diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
Get rid of those wooden dowel perches... I have no idea why bird cage manufactures persist in using them...
Get some good sized branches between 3/4 and 2" in diameter.

? do not understand what you mean, I've only bought two sticks in one corner of the aviary - the rest of the aviary and the room they are in is the only mass events from nature in a lot of different sizes so they can vary?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:

Those wooden sticks provided with bird cages should not be used...
larger diameter branchs are best... gives the birds better balance at roost.
Which is maybe why they do not go back to the security of the cages at night.

What I do notice with your birds , is the nice clean crowns, no sign of hybridisation.....good blood lines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:

ok, now I understand :) do not worry, it's just two pieces they have there young birds like to sit sometimes - the adults are rarely there when they have lots of natural events to choose from :) I do not think they avoid sleeping in cage just because there are two narrow-bought sticks when there are at least 8-10 real branches to sit on larger diameter that is more suitable for them :) the kids like that sit on them sometimes as I said, perhaps a better grip on them then they would like to sit high when they left the boxes, I have noticed and appreciate more the narrower tines then - but the bigger they get - so they sleep outside the cage just like the others. The cage is 2x2x1 meters and always open.

I also have branches in different sizes are scattered between and on their shelves in the room to climb on - so there's lots of natural events in their rooms with the right size (the entire room is done as a cage) but they do not sleep on them either.

Thank you think the birds were fine - I had two unrelated couples so all is my breedings and some newly purchased for the new blood to the I retained :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
the kids like that sit on them sometimes as I said, perhaps a better grip on them then they would like to sit high when they left the boxes, I have noticed and appreciate more the narrower tines then - but the bigger they get

Yeah.. the chicks climb high as soon as they can, and if cant gert off the wire at the top , will hang ther for hours....I have acouple forked branches up in the cnr they always head for....yeah intially they do go for the smaaler branch ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject:

they will soon cut down the trees here for the winter - so then I pick up new trees and branches for them. Will take home a little less to the chickens when too :)
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject:

hey, nice birds you have, and Steps is right about the crown, the size is also very nice

what you mention about a male feeding another male I had it happen to me when I housed temporarily 4 males in the same aviary, they became somehow 2 pairs, feeding each other and so on.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject:

pabloc wrote:
hey, nice birds you have, and Steps is right about the crown, the size is also very nice

what you mention about a male feeding another male I had it happen to me when I housed temporarily 4 males in the same aviary, they became somehow 2 pairs, feeding each other and so on.

Thanks so much :) I had only hoped that he would have entered the female who came instead... :) I have one busy couple, two male teenagers and two female teenagers and three chickens (1 male, 1 female and 1 male are likely to)
Right now - so I get to see how I do in the future :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: