Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - aviary design/position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

aviary design/position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: aviary design/position

I'm thinking about building an aviary to house the 2 kaks i have at the moment [if i do i might get a couple more], the problem i have is i have a very small garden which is north facing so the sheltered corner next to the house where i want to place it does not get any direct sun light in the winter months. will it be ok there? i've read up on construction, safety doors, shelter, mesh size etc, its just the positioning i'm not sure about. duno
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Jim
Im no expert, as i have my first avairy this year. I thought i would tell you my mistakes, as what i have learned works, as time went on.
I bought mine, without a roof, so that was the first thing i needed. I know now its really important to have the safety porch, and im working on that.
Thought i would rather have more room for the birds at the time!

The kaks love the rat tubes i have hung up, and the ferret playtubes. Wood perches go horrible very quickly, so im changing to rope, and plastic. A kickboard all around keeps the mess in, and no i have not got one! another thing for me to do. Rolling Eyes
I have a large plastic tub for food, with a lid and hole, this works well, as they have no problem going in and out.
My avairy is against a wall, but also has a house wall for shelter, it still gets wet anyway. Ive clad one end with the main box, so they have compleate shelter one end if they want it.
Ive a concreate floor, and being the messyest birds in the world..bless em! i cant say its the best floor for easy maintenance. Ive only got two kaks outside, (and 4 budgies) but you would think i have 22 at the end of the week wall

Having an avairy is great!
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject:

I've already read-up about the design, and hopefully i wont have as many problems as you have had. I'm going to build it myself so i will be able to build in all the necessary features rather than retrofit them. I know I will still make a couple of mistakes, but hopefully small ones. Pray
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject:

I know Jim, i wish i built mine myself really, i was in too much of a hurry to have one Rolling Eyes

Cant wait to see yours
JimP
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject:

I'm still in the design stage at the moment, I wont start building until the weather is a lot warmer. Size is the problem at the moment I am still in negotiations with her indoors about how big I can have it. Mind you she likes the birds as much as I do.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject:

North..Nth hemisphere....thats your cold side...
Even if you can design so the sun hits a inside corner for a few hrs is far better than them not getting any at all...

I have 1 flight a little like that...placed a perch in the ara and they all line up in the sun for a couple hrs each day

Also consider the cold prevailing winds, u dont want them goibng straight into the avairy, or at lease create an area that they can get out of it.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:

Hi Steps,
where I am thinking of putting it is very sheltered, in a corner formed by the house wall and a 7 foot high solid fence. but from late October to mid march this area does not get any direct sun, it is the only place in the garden that is protected from the wind during the winter months.

jim
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:

With very good diets u can get around the no sun issue...
We have friends who breed very senistive parrot species, they have a area built into the flight with heat/sun lamps...I dont think those extemes would be reqired, kakariki are very hardy, and are not a 'tropical' species.
They do live in wild wild where there is snow.
There is another very old thread somewhere that talks about weather

Its best to mention seasons rather than months...u guys are the other way around in the nth hemisphere

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:

sorry I automatically work out what season it is on your side of the world compared to what season it is here. wall
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:

We had a bit of confustion in the early says of the site so,I coded into the site so when ppl 1st regist, they have to select country...this appears under names in each post...
Also the Nuke weather block to the left covers 10s of 1000s of towns and cities around the world for current 10 day weather forcasts (updated every 2hrs)...If a members city (opitional when regist on the site and can be added in ones profile) is added, this also helps.

I see this....but many dont know this is there, so seasons is a good idea.

Right now we have posts where ppl are having problems with hot summer temps and others the opposte Shocked

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be better to protect them from the winds and cold, and just have a few sunny days. My Avairy is a little like that too, but after the winds and rain we have had , im glad its there.
I missed the good summer months this year, and this aera gets sun in the mornings, if i see they are really missing it, i could always put them in a sunny spot for a while, in a cage.
I was thinking of trying a solar powered light just outside, and a daylight/uv bulb. The ones that react to movement, would stay on a while. There should be enough sun in the mornings to power it for the afternoon.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Thats a good idea...why movement thu?
If it is what they need then they will use it when its on....If they dont need it they will not use it
Thats what they do with the sun....

Then the power is run out of the night, and they get normal sleep

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject:

I had this idea they would turn it on when im not around, but thinking about it, it would be constantly on anyway...silly Scully! emb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: