Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Flew smack into the window
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Flew smack into the window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziggygee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Flew smack into the window

My newbie male kak, Arnie, has just flown smack into the glass pane in the living room window. I normally lower the blind but could kick myself as I forgot.. He obviously is suffering from concussion to a degree. He did come onto my finger & settle for about 3 minutes then took flight to the top of the curtain rail so I at least know his wings seem to be fine. He has gone very quiet & sleepy. I have put him back into his cage & he appears to be resting. There is fresh veggies & fresh water for him. Can I do anything else for him or is it just best to keep an eye on him & let him rest?
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

I hope he is doing better now Ziggy.
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

hi there,
I hope he is doing ok, but to make you feel a bit better,In july I went to NZ for a week and my then partner thought that he would take tiki to his place for a few days instead of having to come round to my place everyday. He did tell me he was going to do that and I said to him it would be a good idea not to let him out while he is there as he is not used to the surroundings, But he didnt listen to me and did let him out and the 1st thing Tiki did was fly head first into the window. He didnt tell me this till I got back, and he told me that Tiki was very stunned and wobbly for around an hour, he thought he was going to die, but he was ok and at this very moment he is doing flips in his cage wanting to be let out.
So i do hope that all is well for you.
Gina.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

If having birds fkly free in the home, use net curtains.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Orange, Fortunately, just like your Tiki, Arnie made a full recovery.
He is back to his normal never-stops-chatting, noisy, full-of-beans self!
Also, Millie has now decided she really does like Arnie & it's now her following him all over the place. Millie is vocalizing a lot more than she used to (& not just the mating chant) which is lovely to hear. I don't have any problem getting Arnie onto my finger (yes he has a goold old peck at my knuckles & I try very hard not to let him know it hurts! LOL!) I really do think he is going to be a talker as he is imitating sounds into syllables.
If I say Mill-ie, Mill-ie, he will repeat but at the moment it sounds like Li-ey, Li-ey & when I say pretty boy he replies i -y-ee-oy. So all is well & both my birdies are happy! At the moment Arnie is 14 weeks old & Millie seems to be wanting to pair with him. He is very interested in her calls & stance, but doesn't really seem to know what he is doing. What age are male Kak's when they become sexually active? Thanks for all the tips and info & I hope you and your birdies are happy & well. Kindest Regards, Ziggy. Crying or Very sad
ziggygee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject:

<v> . oops! sorry about closing emoticon, must have accidentally clicked on it!
tiki
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ziggy,
I'm pleased to hear that Arnie has made a full recovery, its pretty scary when things happen to them they are so small and helpless.
Its amazing how attatched you get to them,Ive only had Tiki for just over a year I got him when he was 9 weeks old and now he is a wonderful talker, he chats non stop from the time i take his cover off in the mornings till i put it back on again at night, he is even saying "Good night" when I get his cover out now, even tho he doesnt like the idea of it being bed time he knows what its all about. He even lets me know if i dont get up early enough for him in the weekends either, he's ringing his bell and calling out "Tiki a good boy", so I guess hes telling me its time to get up signlol.
I'm sure Arnie is going to be a good talker, enjoy it they are alot of fun and as he practices his talking more he will get clearer and clearer.
Takecare Gina.
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I was feeding our pair the other day and thought i'd closed the cage door. On returning I thought it strange that our male was on the back wall of the cage and the bars were in front of him. It wasn't until he proudly clanbered up to sit on top of the cage that I realised he'd pushed open the tiny door and squirmed out. I closed our curtains immediately so that he wouldn't go for the window and closed all doors so he wouldn't enter other rooms.

Since our pair are not so tame I was unsure what to do. Although our male is more confident towards me than our female he is still not one for contact.
I open the main door of the cage wide, relying on our nursing female to remain in the box and not leave the cage too (which she didn't). Our male had a good explore and when called by the female for food went right back.

Although I'm glad he enjoyed his little trip and despite the fact my older kids want me to now let him out regularly, I am reluctant as I don't really want him flying around the room cos of the baby. Firstly, the baby wouldn't understand that waving arms or trying to grab 'Tweet' would scare him and secondly I don't like the idea of poo anywhere near our youngest who at the moment puts all and everything in his mouth.

Tweet will just have to wait until our little one is a bit older, although my partner is now planning mass scale building ideas for the birds to have more room. Reckon tweet will be waiting just as long for that. Laughing
ziggygee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:

When we got Millie she was about a year old & hadn't had the opportunity, other than at weekends to be let out of her cage for flight-time because her original owner was so tied-up with his job & was rarely home during the week. When we became her family & we let her out for the first time she simply was having so much fun/freedom she wouldn't go back to her cage for hours. She hadn't been trained in any way & of course the fact she was a year old made training a little bit more difficult. However, early on I realized it was best to let her out about an hour before her lunchtime fruit & veggies were put in her cage. I would take her bowl with fresh veggies to wherever in the room she'd decided to play & show her, not letting her have any, simply show her. Then I'd go to her cage & place her food in there. Before very long she'd go into the cage for her lunch. The thought of all that lovely food was just too tempting! It didn't take long before she got the hang of it & now she goes back to her cage for her lunch sometimes just in advance of me putting the food in the cage.

Millie will never be a kak that comes to my finger willingly, she will land on my head, but that's not to say we haven't bonded as we have many a "chat" together both when she is in & out of the cage. But Arnie because we've got him young & started his training from day one is much more receptive to learning. He comes to me & my finger easily & is trusting of me. I am sure without the flight time out (supervised) this would not be the case. Like Millie used to be, he would be more timid & not as confident. It all takes time & patience.

I understand what you are saying about not wanting your baby to be eating parrot droppings & I agree 100% with you. But I also think it's important for your birdies to be allowed a little flight time. If the baby has a nap time why not let them out.? Your birdies will appreciate it greatly.
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

This is tru, luckily they do get to spread their wings a little since the cage is quite large. Will have to work on the 'getting baby to take a nap' since at the moment he's extremely active. :)
ziggygee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:

Hi to Dusty & Gina (& everyone else)

Gina, our 2 have been together (in the same house, but separate cages) coming up 4 weeks now & Millies initial apparent non-acceptance/aggression to Arnie has taken a total reverse. She is now following him all over during flight-time out, vocalising more than she's ever done & last but not least doing the female Kak mating stance & call.
He's not 4 months old yet but is very interested & they beak "kiss" each other. Although at present he doesn't seem too certain what else he's meant to do, as my husband commented, once he's got the hang of it he'll know - LOL! So we've chosen & ordered a good size cage to put them together. At the moment they're hopping in & out of each others cages between flights whilst out.

I notice you mention you Tiki has a bell to play with. I got Milly some toys when we got her but she showed no interest. She was much happier sitting at the computer attempting to "help" me sort out my printing paper.
Or tearing my book covers to bits along with a bit of wallpaper stripping - ha ha! I've not bothered with toys for Arnie other than I started to make some simple Oregami (not sure of spelling - but chinese type 3D shapes out of plain paper)for both of them & hid some favourite seeds inside. He seemed to have fun ripping the first one open, but Milly wasn't interested (actually I think she's now "in love", so Arnie's the only thing she really wants!).
Arnie is so active even in his cage. Chattering & singing away, dashing around doing his aerobics I thought it would be good to know if there's any toys Kak's really do enjoy? Advice here would be much appreciated.

Dusty - You know you were saying your male proudly "escaped" from the cage without you realizing. Yesterday I went into the living room & found Arnie on top of Millie's cage talking to her from the outside with her in her cage. I knew I'd closed both their cages about half an hour earlier.
Put a bit of fruit into each of their cages. He hops in to eat. I'm left wondering how on earth he'd got out. Hubby comes home from work & we're in the living room watching tele -about 6.30pm when from the corner where the birds cages are we hear a slight scrapey type noise.
Arnie is lifting up his cage door with his beak (it pushes up to open).
He managed to push it up with his beak enough to make just a big enough opening to wriggle out. We've now added a "tie" to the cage door & he's having a bit of a pull at that, but getting nowhere fast other than it's giving him something to think about. I think we should have called him Houdini ........... never a dull moment!!

DSCN0005 (3).JPG
 Description:
Millie helping with a bit of computing!
 Filesize:  56.74 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

DSCN0005 (3).JPG

tiki
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ziggy,
Its very normal for the female to chew everything she can get her beak into, before i got Tiki I had a female but sadly she died, but she used to get into my book case and chew all along the pages of the books, I wasnt too impressed with that, and she didnt really play with any toys either.She also loved to bury herself into dark places,oneday we couldnt firn her for ages and we were getting very concerned as it was a hot day and new that she would be needing a drink, when we did find her she was in the wardrobe in a shoe of all places, so needless to say after that when ever she was out all doors got closed so she couldnt go upstairs and she would hide behind the cushions on the couch so when we would go to sit on it we would have to check behind them 1st. But Tiki is a little different, he loves his bell, it is on a thick coloured rope and has wooden fruit added to it as well, he has had a chew at that as well,he does have other toys in his cage but doesnt really play with them, he also likes it when I put a good fresh branch into his cage he will chew that till there is no bark left on it, if you are going to do that tho please make sure its a non toxic tree and that you have cleaned it thoughly to get any spray etc that could be on it, willow is a good one if you are able to get hold of it.
I do find a good way also to get him back in his cage is with food, food is their most fav thing, i love the idea of doing the origami and putting food in it, thats a awesome idea it makes them work for their food and stops boredom.
I have thought sometoimes about getting another kak but there are somedays that I cant spend as much time with Tiki as I would like so dont know if I would have time for 2 of them, once I have finished doing all my studies I will have another think about it, that seems to take alot of my spare time and working full time as well, there are times when I let Tiki out while I'm at the computer but he seems to think that the keyboard is his and will attack my fingers while im typing signlol.
Well Ziggy and Dusty I hope you have a great weekend and I love reading what you kaks are up too.
Takecare...Gina.
ziggygee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Hi Gina,
We had a similar incident with a "lost" Millie last year. I left the living room to make a coffee, she was out of her cage playing happily. When I came back she was nowhere to be seen. I searched & called but couldn't find her. I was just about pulling my hair out, when an hour later I spotted slight movement from a cushion on an easy chair. She must have slipped in & was having a happy little sleep! Thank goodness my hubby hadn't been due home as it was his chair & I think we'd have had a squashed Kakariki!

I suppose I'm fortunate these days working from home lets me spend a good bit of time with M & A. Anyway I am retiring at 60 (only 2 & a bit years away) & I'm looking forward to it. A few years back the idea of being 60 was scarey - Ha Ha!

Yes it's lovely to exchange tips, advice & little experiences about our little feathered friends.
Don't work too hard (it's bad for you!)
& take care. Kindest Regards, Ziggy.
tiki
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ziggy,
Lol working too hard is bad for you I agree!!.
It wont be long before all my studies are over next month should be that last of it I hope, once I've finished I would have been studying for 2 years, I've been doing my Diploma In Children's Services, its good to know that there is a very close end to it, I've enjoyed it but it has been hard work as it is a full time course and working full time too, but is going to pay off as they have offered me a promotion next year so its been worth it.
Tiki is doing flips in the cage right now wanting to come out but he's going to have to wait a bit longer I still have a bit of work to do yet, i normally let him out for around an hour each evening, I gave him some of his favourite treats today so thats keeping him happy for the time.
Well I had better get back to finishing off my assignment, this is my small break signlol.
Hope you had a good weekend.
Gina.
Oh btw love the photo of Millie she is cute s05
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: