Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Did you know
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Did you know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Did you know

I have been working with our vet again. We had a young hen that was struggling to fly from one end of the aviary to the other. She had started laying eggs and we were concerned that she may have become egg bound and so caught her up and took her to the vet.

A calcium injection was given and seemed to have immediate results. For the next 24 hours there was some improvement but the bird still wasn't right. In an effort to find the cause the vet decided to conduct additional tests. The results were a real eye opener.

This particular bird was found to have Capillaria worms. These worms are not your avarage sort of worms. They live in the small intestine area of the bird and can be very difficult to detect. The other problem is that the bird shows very little sign of whats going on inside until it is too late. The other bad news is that the worming product you are currently using DOES NOT kill capillaria worms.

Our bird has since died. She was heavily infected and with the added burden of egg laying the stress was too much. We actually bought this bird in from another breeder and so my first thought was that perhaps the bird had been infected before she came to us. BUT, it gets worse. These worms can be passed on via the droppings of rats and mice. The use of suspended aviaries greatly reduces the risk of these droppings making it into the birds living areas but it can happen. If the birds eat infected droppings they too can become infected.

The result of all this is that we have had to administer panicure to the crop of all the birds in our aviairies for 3 days straight. With just over 50 adult birds (plus babies) that is a big job to carry out before work. I had never heard of these particular worms but it is something everyone should be aware of. The worms can also be found in natural earth floors so that may help answer some of the unexplained deaths in Kakariki the members of this site have had.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

In fact, Capillaria is one of the most common worms in psittacine birds. Panacur is a well known product in Belgium. Most breeders use it. I have used Avicas, a similar product. http://www.oropharma.com/en/siervogels/html/wormen.html But since I treat my birds with Ivermectin, I didn't use it anymore.

Ivermectin should be efficient against worms, but not all kind of worms. You made me aware of that. Maybe it is better to use a real Capillaria killer. Thanks!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

http://www.kakariki.net/ftopicp-1089.html#1089
And post above in the link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: