Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - loosing tail feathers/hens
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

loosing tail feathers/hens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: loosing tail feathers/hens

gaday guys,
anyones opinion would be greatly appriciated, last summer i had a problem in my avairy with kaks, with saying that i have to add my birds are in big avairies, on a well balanced diet,cages are kept clean (friends of mine say to clean thats why i got the problem)fresh water daily ,sometimes twice a day,wormed and in summer i run retic to keep them cool. i first noticed when my babies left the box their feathers in there tails were all damaged i put it down to not enough room in the box,so eventually when they came out of the box, i thought that their feathers would get better but they didnt ,eventually falling out . panic stations ,i thought i had french malt. i rang the vet in welshpool rd, by this time i had fluffed up hens,looking pritty sad and eventually lost one. so to cut a long story short , my friend felt sorry for them and she took them to her place. (the vet was stumped as i had symtoms of about 3 different things, next time bring a sick bird in)Now she had 4 of my birds 2hens and 2 males.within 3 months she lost the hens ,the males are fit and healthy now,not a thing wrong with them and they have lovely tails.
mean while i used the time to move all my avairys ,wash everything and have got more birds.again i lost 2 mature hens,nothing wrong with there tails, so the next hen to get sick i took her to the vet,that one was diagnosed with thrush,we fixed her and she is alive and well as with all my birds right now BUT another person i know ,who bought there birds about 1 yr ago rang the other day ,out of all the pairs he bought (4)he only has males left ,all the hens died . there tails were fine,they wernt egg bound and always wormed.so its not just me there is something out there that only gets the hens. my avairies are fine now but this scare is always in my head and im always on edge and when people ring me with this problem (with birds that wernt brought from me) i dont know what to tell them and i know whats comming and it usually does DEATH OF THE HEN......can any one help ,i dont want anyone going through what i went through.....
p.s my avairies are fine at the moment and my hens are looking good, but maybe some one else has this problem???????
debbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: