Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Meet Lennie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Meet Lennie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Meet Lennie

Lennie is my youngest chick, very vocal , bless his yellow feathers

for some reason the pics uploaded blurry

chicks150606 103.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.29 KB
 Viewed:  150 Time(s)

chicks150606 103.jpg

chicks150606 100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.42 KB
 Viewed:  160 Time(s)

chicks150606 100.jpg

chicks150606 129.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.57 KB
 Viewed:  172 Time(s)

chicks150606 129.jpg

chicks150606 124.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.34 KB
 Viewed:  153 Time(s)

chicks150606 124.jpg

JohnV
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

He he....he looks nice as well.....signlol

John
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

He was born with funny toes John, there is a name for it but ive forgotten right now. Hes fine really, they were the small toes. He was having antibiotics, to stop any infection getting to the feet. He has lost one of the toes, he chewed the last bit off himself, and the other is going the same way. He gets around fine.
Hes a lovely mix of yellow and light olive(cinnamon)
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

Scully, your bird is a Fallow.
Its funny I've experienced the toe problem with 2 of my Lutino's. I wonder if this is genetical.
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Well his parents are green and yellow mix, sorry peter im not good with genectics.

What do you mean by a fallow? is that the clouring? god im a thicko when it comes to this sort of thing! signlol

Its interesting you have experienced the same, but on the other hand if i had known maybe i would not have bred them. The toes to start with looked like someone had wound some thread around them. Both the same small toes.

Anyway the other three are fine, and mostly green. Lennie was quite a surprise to me too.

Its been a wonderful experience watching them grow up
Ive got one girl left, who is an amazing flyer, ive never know a bird quite like it.
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

happy^ oh I sooo love Lennie's colouring! <v>
Lin
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Lennie's colour definately grows on you - he's more adorable every time I see him
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

trouble is hes such a baby boy, even when hes flying its like hes not sure what hes doing. Hes far slower than all of the others at growing up.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

scully wrote:

What do you mean by a fallow? is that the clouring?
Yes, its the name used for the colouring

scully wrote:
Its interesting you have experienced the same, but on the other hand if i had known maybe i would not have bred them. The toes to start with looked like someone had wound some thread around them. Both the same small toes.
This is the best way to describe it. It seems that it only affects Fallow and Lutino and since those mutations probably are located on the a-locus my reasoning is that it might be genetical.
The best way to tread it is to apply some Isobetadine to the wound. The second time I saved one toe by doing this.
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

There was a point where the vet took some of the nasty bit off, and we thought we may have saved the toe, as the skin looked good underneath.

Then Lennie bit it off..little devil, all that trying to save it!i well dipped it in some vet antiseptic powder, and its healed very well.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

He is a very handsome boy scully and I am sorry to hear about his toes that sounds like it was awful........good to see he is doing well now.....I assume you are keeping him
JohnV
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

he he,
Not if I can help it signlol...... I got a lovely girl for him..... Wink
oh, and a nice new cage .....and scullys comin to herts soon with my new girl and another for someone else.

John
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Well i dont know what im going to do with Lennie. He will stay untill i'm happy with his toes. He is the only one his parents have not bullied. I had to take the others out earlier than i wanted, but they all doing well, in with my budgies. The baby Kaks are enjoying all the budgie toys.
If all is happy in with his parents he may stay, so alot depends on that. Im not sure if i want another boy either, so little Lennie is a bit of a mystery on what to do with him. Once he grows up, im not sure if Dad will like him being around with his mate. I like your girl John Laughing
Ive got two of those mini indoor avairys, and im almost at my limit of what room i like for my birds.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Peter and Scully,

The disease your are refering to in regard to the toes is known here in Australia as constricted toe. It affects many species of parrot here in Australia. However, I have never seen or heard of it happening in Kakariki in this country. In Australia it is more prevalent in hand reared birds. The Eclectus parrot is the most affected by this problem. We have a pet Black headed Caique that suffered constricted toe and was meant to have an entire foot amputated. With lots of treatment and care he only lost the one toe and is now 2 years old and doing fine.

The popular theory amongst Australian vets is that constricted toe is caused by humidity issues while the chick is still in the nest. From memory I think it is when the humidity levels are too high that problems arise. This is difficult to rectify if eggs are hatched by the hen but a lot of breeders here in Australia find they run into problems more so when they incubate the eggs. From the research I have read on this disease it is not genetic and so I dont think it would be a problem with the pairs you are breeding from but instead the conditions under which the eggs are hatched.
scully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Thats what i found out Kaka-riki. Lennie is not my youngest chick silly me.
He was the last out the nest. The youngest who i nicknamed little fluff, is not so little anymore, Hes as big as his dad. He will be moving to Oranges house later this month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: