Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Please Help me !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Please Help me !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny_Palmer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Please Help me !!!

I've got 2 Kakariki's (Paul and Roz) and over the Spring they have breeded and layed. About 2 days ago i went in and could hear a baby chirping. The mother (roz) is being a good mother but annoying and i cant get her off the nest wall . any suggestions 2 get her off as this is the first year they have breeded and would like 2 check on babies !!!!! please reply

Thanks, Jonny
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I am not the best person to help you with this question at the moment i am sure others will be able to help you more............Can you have a quick peek while she is out eating or drinking .........I would not disterb her too much if this is her first clutch.......my hen is on eggs ATM and if i want to have a loook and she is on them I just give her a little nidge with my finger and she will move over quickly so i have a breif glance and count of eggs then she pulls them under........sorry i am not too much help I am sure others will be more so Wink
Jonny_Palmer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

ATM i am very busy so only get to go in 3 or 4 maybe 5 short times a day. She is always in their i hav beaten her to the nest once or twice but just to count the eggs now she has hatched them she is much more aggressive and runs at me if i get near her, so i guess i'll have to try and wait 'till she feeds again.
Thanks anyway, my first reply Laughing Jonny
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

DO NOT disturb the nest now if you want the chick/s to survive. Interfering with the nest may result in the hen simply leaving the chicks and not going back. PATIENCE is what is required. You will find that once the young have reached 10-15 days of age the hen will spend long periods of time out of the box. That is the time to do nest inspections. In the mean time make sure you keep up plenty of fresh food for the birds.

Young inexperienced hens can become nervous if they are disturbed repeatedly by over anxious breeders and will abandon the nest and usually then lose interest in breeding again. We have a young hen at the moment that has been in the box for the past 3 1/2 weeks without being seen at all. By observing the cock bird we know that she is okay. If something goes wrong and the hen is sick or has died the cock birds will fly up and down the aviary in a very distressed state. They are the best indicator that everything is fine. We dont bother counting eggs as too many interuptions mean that they wont be incubated properly. Better to let nature take it's course.
Jonny_Palmer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

Just got back and found the female off her nest. i managed too sneak a peek in there is 1 baby (very cute) about 3-5 days old thanks for the tips. 1 more thing. I live in the UK so i hav the kaks in an avairy along with 4 cockatiels so none of the birds are hand reared/trained (although male kak is very inquisitive) and i was hoping to make this baby a little more freindly. So i was wondering the best time to do that and what to do

Thanks, Jonny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: