Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Laying Hen question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Laying Hen question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Laying Hen question

Do hens get all fluffed up & lose weight when they are laying?

I may have panicked a bit & removed the nest boxes as my hen has lost weight, I can feel her breast bone & she has been out of the box alot and sits all fluffed up all the time.
She laid 4 eggs on the floor & 2 in the nest boxes when I gave them to her.
When I examined her I was able to catch her quite easily with my hands.
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Karen,
I would suggest you have a very sick bird and need to get her some medical attention promptly. If she has left the eggs and will allow you to catch her by hand she is defianately very sick and it sounds like she has picked up a bug whilst laying the eggs. During the laying process the hens do become very susceptible to any bacterial or viral disease that they would otherwise be less likely to catch.
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:

Do kike's suffer with megabacteriosis? I had an outbreak of it wit my udgies last year & managed to successfully treat them with the vet prescribed medicine megabac-s.
If kike's do get megabacteriosis then I reckon that is what she has as some of the symptoms are the same.
I started treatment with megabac-s a number of days ago just to be on the safe side. Fingers crossed I got it into her in time. I must say though that I haven't been able to catch her for 2 days now.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

It is not something I'm familiar with
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/CLERK/Son/
Quote:
Note: Treatment of animals should only be performed by a licensed veterinarian. Veterinarians should consult the current literature and current pharmacological formularies before initiating any treatment protocol

Also from the above site.
Quote:
Because M. ornithogaster grows in a more alkaline environment, another treatment option consists of increasing the acidity of the gastric system. This can be done by either acidifying the water with organic acids (apple vinegar, white vinegar, or grapefruit juice) or by using Lactobacillus spp.7

We mention in several places in this site regarding using vinegar soln to spray down aviaries and adding a little cider vinegar to the veggies on a regular basis.
Thu there is no hard scientific basis behind these recommendations, in practice birds and animals (including humans) respond well and are less susceptible to many ailments.
Alcohol and Acidic vinegars occur naturally in the wild, particular in the fermented nectar of many flowers.
I have seen on several occasions, Tui (NZ native bird) so drunk they cant fly after feeding on flax flowers. Alcohol if left will break down into vinegars.

Last edited by Steptoe on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

Okay I've figured she is not sick with Megabacteriosis.

She still sits fluffed up. She does eat eat & has a play every now and again.

Could she be reacting very badly to the high temperatures we've been having? Could she be depressed?

My other Red Cinnamon is a bit lethargic too but not as much. My yellow crown hen hasn't changed at all and is still as highly energetic as the males.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

Karen, have u consulted a vet?
lethargic, no weight is not good for a Kakariki. And to have others showing similar symptoms...thats not good.
The 2 common causes are worms and old age...even the latter I'm not 100% sure of. We have a couple of 'rescued birds that I suspect are very old, thu at 1st had major weight loss, very little feathers, lethargic etc. They have picked up weight/feathers over the last 12 months, they are no where as active as the other birds.
I think u should have a vet run tests , including bacterial and worm checks.
Failing that It could very well be some organ failure (kidney) as described in other threads in this section.
It is very frustrating in cases like this, that have very 'general' type symptoms we cant be of more help. Diagnosis at a distance is near to imposable, and the best is to be able to maybe point in the right direction.
A vet is the best bet.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

She has put alot of weight back on.
I don't have any faith in the local vet, but I might not have a choice - just have to hope he doesn't kill her!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't have any faith in the local vet,

Unfortunately this is very often the case, yet birds are one of the most common pets.
Check out some of the sticky threads in the vets section, in particular
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-420.html
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-59.html
With a little practice one can do basic testing themselves.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

I wormed her last week, gave her megabacteriosis treatment week before that.

I'm about to buy stuff call Spark or something like that that's supposed to give her her oompf back. She has been self medicating herself on my mums ginger plant yesterday & today! Rolling Eyes
I moved her to a slightly larger cage today & she seemed to brighten up as she could see her fellows in the next cage.
Maybe she has been depressed?
Karen
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

Well she is fantastic now! she has put all the weight that she lost back on & she is bck to her normal self! I am so happy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: