Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - help she is feather plucking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

help she is feather plucking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueyedbeutie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: help she is feather plucking

hi, my kakariki (lucy) is 7 months old got her from the pet shop in december, she is constantly pulling out her feathers round neck chest and back, she gets fresh water daily with a mix of cocateil mix, bits of fruit and veg through out the day, she loves toast, her flying time is from 7,30am to 8,30am in the morning, then she,s in her cage untill 2pm i let her out when i get home and she,s got the run off the living room she flies back and forward to her cage, she has lots of toys and a scrath box she is very freindly she will come sit next to me wether it be on my head or shoulder she will sit on my hand and eat from it i never force her to do anything it,s all on her terms i bought some johnsons multi vitamins for her water, it just every time she has her bath i just cry cause i see the state of her, i just want whats best for my lucy, this is my first time of owning a bird, so can anyone tell me what i,m doing wrong

mary (north yorkshire, england)

and i must say thanks to this site i,m learning more about my kakariki
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Are you sure she is plucking them.....have you actually seen her doing it.....she may just be moulting??????
Does she have mites of some description.....I have read that these can cause a bird to pull feathers.......I have never had a problem like this so these are my only suggestions I am sure someone else may have othger thoughts
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Hi Mary and w3c to our community.
I wonder whether the cause of featherloss is made by featherplucking or by feathermites. I give you 2 opinions.

1) Featherplucking seems to be caused by hormonal inbalance. Long days and short nights are in most species a trigger to breed. But, when they can't breed they can get so frustrated they start to pluck their feathers.

A solution to this problem can be to reduce the amount of time they are
awake. E.g. 10-12 hours. Cover her cage with a blanket around 6 or 7 a clock pm.

2) Feathermites make tunnels in the feathers and they affect the roots of the feathers through which they fall out. When you notice thin lines transeversely the tailfeathers it is the proof of feathermites.
You can use a mitespray but my personal experience is that this is ineffective. The mites live inside the feathershafts and underneath the skin and thats why they are unreachable for the spray.

100% effective is the use of Ivermectin which can be applied on the skin of the neckarea. Via the blood it reaches the mites and kill them. You have to repeat it after 2 weeks because the mites lay eggs.

I see you feed her, besides seeds, fruit and veggies. That is OK but an important component is missing here and that is animal proteins. A bird needs this to build his feathers but also for the maintenance of his muscles.
Eggfood filled up with insects (and possibly honey)is a high source of animal proteins. It also contains the essential vitamins and minerals.

And last but not least grit.

Peter
blueyedbeutie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

hi ksue
thanks for reply, had lucy to the local vet no sings of mite,s he suggested taking her to a bird specalist regarding this, as there is not one in my area i have to travel in the car for an hour and a half, dont wont to cause any more stress to lucy being stuck in a box for this leangth of time, and yes she is pulling them out as she looks like a plucked chicken, i,m just really worried for her,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: