Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Getting my Kak back in the cage!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Getting my Kak back in the cage!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Getting my Kak back in the cage!!

Shocked

Had my Kak for a short while and she's been great.... until today Twisted Evil . I let her out as usual at 9am. Normally flying round for 2 hours and then she goes back into the cage for a sleep, more to eat and watches some tele. She is normally let out again at 7pm until about midnight. Today I could not get her back in the cage for love nor money. She spent, in total, 11 hours out of her cage from 9am until 8pm. I'd put down food and water for her up until about 6pm and hoped she would go back to her cage when she was thirsty or hungry. This wasn't the case. It was by pure coincidence {she misjudged her landing} that she went back in and I was able to close the door to the cage. How do I get her to go back in when it's time?? I tried coaxing her with her favourite food but she wasn't interested! Not talking She's been stubborn a few times about going back in but after about 15 minutes she decides to go.
Is there a way to get them back in the cage? I have no problem with her being out during the day but am worried about having to go to bed! Laughing
Like her to go to bed when I do!!!!
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

LOL I have this problem with my guy sometimes too......sometimes he does it if I didnt let him out for long the day before for what ever reason......or sometimes he just does it.....i never have a problem in the morning because they know this is when they get there new food and like you said trying a fav food.........I have also found he knows when i want him to go in so if I act like i dont care hes out he will go back in.......I used to try going out of the room and when i came back in he was in his cage and I would close the door but he figured that out so he would see me coming and fly back out (cheeky bugger) .....I find if you do something "interesting" in there cage and make a big song and dance about it the curiosity gets too much for them or quickly changing there toys around they want to see what you have done...............If it is night time I will turn most of the lights off and put the cover on the cage over the top and make like i am going to bed he will go straight back in.......i think sometimes its the game of being out when they know you want them in or maybe they just want more time today LOL.........Twice I have had to go to work and leave toby out.. duno ......She may still be getting used to the routein you have or feeling a bit unsettled.......I would also check that nothing had happened to her in her cage to make her afraid.......sorry if its a bit long but i hope somthing is helpful.....some people say having a routien is bad because if something happens the bird will get confused/stressed.....but I find having a routien lets the birds understand when things happen and what will happen next.......I am not strict with it but things are done loosely the same way toby now seems to understand when it is time for out and when it is time for in
Kaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Thankyou for reply!!

Thanks for your reply!! She's a stubborn one I'll give her that! Laughing I'll try your suggestions and hope these work. Nothing stressful has happened while in her cage. I'm hoping to upgrade the cage to an even bigger one soon {my living room will have no room for my furniture at this rate Laughing } I bought new toys the other day so when I let her out will put them in to see if it entices her back in!!! Thanks for your advise. It's greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

lmao
u could get a small garden tool shed, move into that and let the Kakariki have the house signlol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Crying or Very sad I think that is what I'm gonna have to do!!
HeLLRaZoR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Stupid newbie here

hiya everyone, yes imsry i am completely dumb about kakariki's.... can someone tell me what my kakariki's are please? i understand there are diffrent varieties just like cockatiels (which i have a great understanding of)... but know completely NOTHING about kakariki's signlol sorry..... here is a pic if someone can help and i think my pair are quite young as they have pink beaks..... i assume older birds they go darker just like cockatiels...... thanx!!....

OH yes BTW i think my birds are Cock (top).... and the Hen is below,
if im wrong im gonna feel totally stupid!!!! signlol

PSycho and Gerrard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.4 KB
 Viewed:  2732 Time(s)

PSycho and Gerrard.jpg

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

I do believe you are correct in sexing them.
I'm not good with mutations but I think they are pied as I can see green on the hen. Not sure if male is lutino or pied.

BTW, w3c!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: