Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - absurd price
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

absurd price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: absurd price

I heard somthing interesting on another forum i am on (australian)....a lady on there had seen HR kakarikis in a pet store (normal RF) for $200 does anyone else find this outrages I was at a big mel bird store a few weeks ago and they were selling breeding pairs for 250....and they were NOT big or paticulaly good looking birds....has there been a sudden price rise over here or somthing......I dont mean to be so crass and talk about price but these really shocked me Shocked
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Kellie,
There has never been a set price structure for Kakariki unlike most other species of Parrot available here in Australia. It does make it difficult to know what prices to set especially when dealing in mutations.
As for hand raised birds that is a very difficult market to gauge. A normal Kakariki sells for appro. $50.00 (aus) and most people who handraise birds charge around $100.00 for their services so I guess including a mark up for the pet shop this price is probably close to the mark. With the price of everything going up it doesn't surprise me.
We handraise our own Kakariki but dont do them for anyone else due to business constraints and the time factor. But, I can assure you it is a very time consuming exercise and not something a lot of breeders are willing to do. It can be expensive buying the incubators, food etc and in the case of Kakariki they are not the easiest bird to hand raise from a very young age.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I was just shocked because as I have heard the "average" price for a HR is 80-100 ( I am talking normal RF no mutations ect.... i know they are a whole diff kettle of fish so to speak) I bought toby parent raised earlier this year from a bird shop for 60 and to see a "breeding pair" for 250 made me think maybe somthing has happened to make the prices so high...so quickly....I know pet shops have a huge mark up i got my HR green cheek from a breeder for 300 in Pshops here they sell them for 600 to 1000....Also sep question is there a price diff between the YF and RF (no mutation of course) the bird shop I was at had a pair of yf but no price....and they were really small and scruffy looking
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

The Yellow fronted Kakariki here in Australia took a big tumble in popularity a few years ago. This was because there are no mutations in the Yellow fronts whereas the Red fronts have many mutations and a lot of breeders chased the dollar while it was there.
As a result the numbers of pure Yellow fronts has dropped dramatically and suddenly they are hard to find. The price of Yellow fronts is now higher than Red fronts but it is hard to find pure birds.
Wiccawolf
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Kakariki costs

Hi Guys... here's my 2 cents worth again
Kaks are enjoying a new popularity here in Canada Wink
Prices ( according to my shopping around ) average ( per bird )....

Plain Jane Green Red Front - 200 to 250 per bird in this area ( bought one Fri for this ammt ), up to 400 in Toronto. An Oakville breader tried to charge me $400 for Riki-Tiki-Tavi, but I talked him down to $300 ( I have receipts ). Shocked
Mutations ( ie Lutino ) 250 - 300 here... up to $450 in Toronto area
Yellow fronted are rare... I paid $250 for Fred because he was damaged ( missing all tail feathers at the time ) they can go up to $450 as well
Canadian Dollars for a "hand raised" bird. Sex is no bering. Most shops don't know sex for sure.
Don't know it this holds true for everywhere in the country, but Southwestern Ontario definately.

FYI

Love thy birds........

Wolf devil
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:

The prices over here in the UK are static for any type of kaki.

They usually go for inbetween £15 and £20, all breeds, mutations etc.

The females tend to go for a little bit more, around £25, seems to be a shortage of females in the UK at the moment.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

NZ, as mentioned previously, NZ the native country, we only have wilds Yellow and red Crown.
Since permits are required, I only know of 1 retailer that stocks Red Crown. Round $40 each $90 a pair, thu they are too young to to have paired off. AND from the looks of them they are inbreed and illegal hybrids.

Most sales are private..IF one can find buyers WITH permits. Then throw into equation that 99% of NZers have never heard of a kakariki. And those who have only a very small proportion have ever seen one. Plus one needs a approved aviary to hold them.
Then there are Conservation trusts that are crying out for stock and cant get any.
The market is basically limited to Zoos, who pay about $40 each. But that market is saturated.
So we either give them away to permit holders, or kill them. If Conservation organisations want them, we well give them away to them in the interests of Conservation...havnt done so as yet because for them DoC has to approve the birds, and that is a long winded bureaucratic process that is on a permanent go Sloooowwwww

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I am glad I started this thread now it is very interesting to see the price in other areas of the world.......they are fairly cheap in the UK i would have thought the mutations would have cost more....but than again maybe it cost more to get a "true" bird over there
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
it is very interesting to see the price in other areas of the world

Yes Its quite an eye opener, useful thread to
but it is a hassle to covert each currency signlol
If members want a currency convert added to the site, I think i can find one.
If u think one would be useful, post in the members section.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I have done some checking in Australia and worked out a basic price guide for Kakariki here. These prices will vary between States and also depend on the quality of the bird but might at least give Aussie members an idea. Prices are per bird
(Aussie $s)
Normal Red fronted $50.00
Normal Yellow fronted $75.00

Red Fronted Mutations

Cinnamon $60.00
Cinnamon Pied (split) $75.00
Cinnamon Pied - Range from $100.00 - $400.00

Cinnamon Yellow (mottled pied) splits - $300.00
Cinnnamon Yellow (mottled pied) coloured bird - $1800.00

Normal Pied (split) $75.00
Normal Pied - Range from $150.00 - $750.00

Dominant Pied (split) $500.00
Dominant Pied - Range from $1000.00 - $2,000.00

Black eyed clear - $5,000.00
Reverse Pied - $3,500.00

The above prices are for parent raised birds and hand raised stock seems to vary from $150.00 - $250.00 for normal red fronteds.

There is a big variation in the quality of birds being bred here and my advice would be that if you think you are buying a bargain be very careful especially when buying yellow fronteds. Always check that the birds are not hybrids. I will try and get some pics of the hybrids and post them on another thread so that members have something to compare.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:

Here in Belgium 20€ no matter what colour/mutation.

Converted
32 AUD
13,5 GBP
33,5 NZD
23,5 USD
27,5 CAD

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: