Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - help sick hen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

help sick hen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: help sick hen

duno I fed my kakariki celery yesterday and everthing was fine I wash it.Went down to the cage and she is fluffed up.She is still eating she has been wormed she has a baby in the nest about 14 days old.We also gave her egg and biscuit yesterday.She is flying around but she looks very tired, the mate is jumping around fussing over her and we have only one nest in the cage.If anybody can help me I don't want to lose her. Thank you for your time.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I feed my kakarikis washed celery, so I dont think this is the problem.

It might be that she is tired out with looking after the baby kakariki, because dad isnt helping feed the chick/mother. Keep an eye on dad and see if he is helping feed mum and baby.

She should be ok, as long as she keeps eating and is kept warm, keep making sure that she eats, kakarikis like other birds can go downhill very quickly and get worse within 2 hours or so. Usually if they make it through the first 24 hours, they usually survive. The Kakariki bird is a very tough little bird, and doesnt give up easily on life. As long as she is still eating and is kept in a warm environment with fresh food and water, she should pull through and be ok.

Good luck Laughing

Kakarikis puff up for a number of reasons, being tired, after a bath, just before or after sleep, feeling cold and if they feel ill. Because she is still eating i dont think that she is ill. Is her poo runny or normal??
dutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Thank you

It is normal. She is near the water dish alot and drinking alot of water, she flys away but comes back to the water.Could she be egg-bound as there is no vet for birds where we live.She has been like this all day she is in the a big cage outside is that o.k.Thank you for your time.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:

She might be drinking a lot of water because she is in the nest where it is warm with the baby. Usually Kakariki birds dont lay more eggs if they are feeding babies, they will lay more eggs if there is more than 1 nest in the cage.

Is it a nest box that you have or have they just built a nest in the cage in the open?

If the female is egg bound/egg breaking inside her, she will get very ill very quickly and not eat or drink anything. Does she look fatter/bigger than usual? The female will get bigger and fatter if she is making more eggs inside her.

I am not an expert in Kakariki birds, when the owner of this site Steptoe comes online, he will answer the questions better than I can, but in my experience, the answers that I give are from my experience with owning Kakariki birds.
dutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: nest

It is one we put in.Yes she does look fatter.She seems to be breathing fast also.It does not look good the male won't leave her at all.Will we also lose the baby if she dies.
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I do not know about if the female dies and if the male bird will feed the baby Kakariki.

The owner of this site, Steptoe, knows a lot more about Kakariki birds than I do, he will be able to answer your questions in more detail than I can.

Sorry I cant be of more help.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Get some calcium into her.
Get some good veggies into her
I'm no Vet, I just listen to old Bird Breeders...bird look a bit off..."get calcium into her. Give them a the left over carcase of a roast chicken a, few chop bones off your dinner plate to play with for a few hrs
She sounds a bit run down..
Also u say "gave her some celery the other day" as if it is something out of the norm...

Our birds eat chopped fresh veggies and fruit 2x a day. Run a forum search on diet.
A pair of Kakariki will demolish 2 good hand fulls a day, with calcium power sprinkled on 1 feed
With Chicks, they will go thru 3 easy, plus an apple/kiwifruit etc
Kakariki are not like other parrots, they eat more vegetable/fruit/insects than they do seed.
In NZ we do not have grass s wheat type seeds, as they do in Contents where other parrots come from . We have tree berries (fruit)...fresh tip growth on trees, Insects.

Just cause u wormed her, it doesn't mean she doesn't have worms...there are diff types of worming formula for diff worms...
Run a forum search on worms.

Quote:
Steptoe, knows a lot more about Kakariki birds than I do, he will be able to answer your questions in more detail than I can

Its great seeing others coming in helping out.
And I do know there are members here, that are far more experienced and know knowledgeable than I...just cause I admin the site don't assume I have all the answers angel We all pitch in a a community.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like your hen has picked up a virus. Hens are very vulnerable to airborne disease and also bacterial infections whilst raising chicks. My suggestion would be to get some spark electrolytes into her in the short term. This medication is used to "perk" up stressed birds and may be enough to help her fight off any bugs she may have.
Depending on the age of the chick, the cock bird may take on the job of feeding it, but it doesn't sound good. Judging by what you have written in your posts in regard to how the cock bird is reacting he is not ready to feed the chick solo just yet and is confused as to why the hen is neglecting her duties.
Spark electrolyte is sold in powder form and added to the water so if the hen is drinking lots of water this is a good time to add it to the water. It may be an idea to pull the chick and handraise it. This would give the hen some rest time to get her strength back.
dutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Thank you again

I am going to try all the advice. Tha male keeps on feeding her we have cuttlebone and sheel grit in the cage.Thank you again I will let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: