Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - unexplained death!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

unexplained death!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoute

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: unexplained death!

our female kakariki died this morning.(we dont seem to be having much luck with these!)

last night she was absolutely fine.This morning she was just dead in her cage. There are no signs of injury.

Anyone have an idea of why she could have died?
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:

It is always difficult to even guess as to what has happened when a bird becomes sick or worse dies. My suggestion would be either "night fright" or perhaps a heart condition.
I recommend always having the bird autopsied at the vet. This way you have valuable information for future refference and it may save you the heartache of thinking you have done something wrong when in fact there was no way of saviing the bird in the first place.
We currently have a very valuable cock bird nursing a severe broken leg and have no idea how he managed to do it. He was in an aviary with 3 other birds and they are fine.
Sometimes things happen without explanation. Guess that is what makes the world tick. Dont give up. Gather information from this experience and make some changes. Remember to ALWAYS get birds autopsied. It may just save you more heartache in future situations.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Sry to hear that.
Are your birds all from the same source?
My 1st reaction
is the breeder, we have had reports in these forums of bad breeding habits, overcrowding, diets, in breeding. I believe it has been reported in breeding can cause bad heart, thu I have nothing to confirm it.
Hence "night fright" for a bird that is the most hardy of all.

2nd reaction Enviroment. A parrot in the home can get things far more readliy than a child, dog, cat. A match head on a high self. Chew on the dishwasher power packet, or played with the detergent bottle? The dangers are far greater. Or do u have teflon pans, cooked up a good eye steak for dinner that night?, over cooked the cookies a little?
I dont know about other breeders here...out of about 35 to 50 birds out of the nest, in a yr...we may loose 1 or 2 Kakariki, 3 in a bad yr. They do not have the added risk of the house enviroment.

I had to put down one of our Cats this morning, old age, kidney failing, heart was going.....

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry to hear about your bird and your cat Step. Homes can create more hazards for the birds as you say. I just had my Male RF Ricky at the vet. He fell off a rope I had strung between hooks at ceiling level, and struck his head on the cage on the way down. Now he is recovering from a concussion and my wallet is a whole lot lighter. I also lost Riki-Tiki-Tavi about 4 months ago. She got her head stuck in 1 inch chicken wire, and a burr on the wire slit her throat as she struggled to free herself. I no longer use the cage. I hate learning at their expense.
Wolf
chow_monkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Same here. Yesterday the hen didn't look ok. Sleeping a lot. However she did eat and drink very well. Therefore I decided to leave her in the aviary. This morning I found her dead. The other kikes are in perfect health and don't show any sign of illness. Got no clue on what happened to her duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject:

Kaka-riki:
Quote:
I recommend always having the bird autopsied at the vet. This way you have valuable information for future refference and it may save you the heartache of thinking you have done something wrong when in fact there was no way of saviing the bird in the first place.

A little more on night fright...last night we had Guy Fawkes night...fire crackers going off all around the neigbuor hood for the last week.
Last night we even had several friends over had had heaps in our back yard. The crimsons where awake, the Kings a little flighty. the Kakariki well I think the pic shows what they thought of it at peek time. The neighbours where letting their fireworks about 15 to 20 ms behind this aviary at the time.

guyfawke.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.96 KB
 Viewed:  149 Time(s)

guyfawke.jpg

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: A run of poor fortune

Unfortunately, I lost another Hen last night.
My newest male ( Sandy ) has become extremely aggressive towards the other birds. He was the cause of my Lutino's fall last week, he was chasing the Lutino, in what I thought was a game of "tag". When I returned from work on Monday, I found the hen ( Ethel ) badly beaten up, and her left eye had been badly bitten. A trip to the vet confirmed she had been it a fight, and inspection of the other birds revealed some blood on the Male's( Sandy ) mouth. The vet said if she survived, she would have been blind in the left eye.He has been separated from the other Kakariki until he settles down ( if ever ). Ethel never recovered, and sucummed to her injuries last night. Broke my heart burying her today. I hate losing birds this way. I don't know what else to do but keep him separated until his adolescent "thing" tones down.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject:

We had a male, (new stock) long time ago that was just plain crazy. We got rid of him. Returned him back to the orginal owner.
There are some very early threads about crazy and agreesive birds.

Kakariki are very hardy, non agreesive, (can intimidate thu signlol)
U are having a real bad run m8....Are u sourcing all your birds from the same place...There could very well could be a common denominator.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Run of bad luck

No. I have been dealing with one pet shop, but 3 different breeders so far. My yellow fronted is from a different shop. I have been very careful to try to make sure the birds have different parentage. It's funny, the aggrssive one is the best "pet"... rarely nips, plays on me etc. Fine with the Cockatoo and Cockatiel.. is scared of the Parrotletts. Put another Kakariki near him or his cage.... instant threat display. Odd bird. Some moments I think he is having a fit.. jumping around, flapping calling.... then he darts around his cage calling for 10 minutes ( I wish I had his energy level )... then snoozes.
I'm ticked at him, but he is just such a good bird in other areas....
Hope your cat is well
Peace

Wolf
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

We have 2 very aggressive cock birds in our collection but dont really want to part with them and so have come up with a way of slowing them down. To pair them with a hen we use a small budgie cage. The cock bird is placed inside the small cage which is in turn hung inside the aviary with several hens. The hens will often land on the cage and the cock bird will fend them off until he chooses a mate. This pair is then housed in a small cage for a few days where a close eye can be kept on their progress.
Once these cock birds find a mate they are often the best fathers and will spend their entire day caring for their new mate and chicks.
Another method we have used successfully is to "trim" the cock birds flight feathers. If you are using suspended type aviaries this works well as the hen can fly away from the cock without fear of being bombarded. By the time the feathers have grown back the cock bird has settled down and all is well. If you are pairing an aggressive cock bird ALWAYS put him into the breeding aviary last. This way he is less likely to be territorial.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hope your cat is well

yes he is now...he was getting old, tumour on the kidneys, If he was in the wild doubt if he would have lasted much longer, and he didnt deserve to be in pain. When he went down he was purring, sad but something about it was nice to. angel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: