Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Weird smell and chewing feathers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Weird smell and chewing feathers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivesmum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Weird smell and chewing feathers

I've had my gorgeous female kakariki for 2 and a half years. At first she was in a small cage but after two months she had upgraded to a huge chinchilla cage with lots of room. She has been really happy until I really got reading up about this breed. I was advised to put her cage on ground level, so I did for a while until she just didn't seem as happy as she did on a stand. In the last 3 months or so she has been chewing on the feather stems. I've not seen her pull her feathers out, so don't know if she is shedding or pulling them out of an evening. But I'm also a bit worried about the smell that she is carrying. She has clean water and bird bath everyday and has her normal goodies of fruit and veg. I just can't work out what's going on. Any advise or similar experiences? I'd be really greatful! X
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

The smell is a bit of a 'curly' combined with chewing at the base of the feathers.
Im thinking.. at best a guess.. being low on the floor may have picked up parasites or something.
If us, I would clean the cage.. ie remove the bird perches take outside and scrub everything down and rinse well. Then put back together with the bird and a very fine mist spray a 50/ 50 soln vinegar and water so everything is just min damp, and in a manner the bird will fly thru the mist without directly spraying the bird.
This should be a regular monthly preventive maintenance practice anyway.
I would then source a couple mls of invermectin from the local vet. And have a chat to him re the smell part.. Place 1 drop on the back of the neck and repeat 10 to 12 days later, then a 3rd time.

So a forum search on vinegar mites worms and invermectin with the "quick search" block on the left

I assume the kakariki is on a good kakariki type diet.. mostly veggies fruit protein and only a little seed.
There is a sticky thread called "what do you feed..."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Thank you!!!

Thanks for all that advise! I give her cage a freshen up everyday and do a real deep cleanse of it once a week but never thought of vinegar and water. She has a small bowl of seeds and then all different types of fruit and veg. She loves apples, broccoli and baby sweet corn and she adores mullet. It's just really worrying when I see her chewing a feather. I'm a real worry and she is my world. I've ordered her a new cage just today I've been so paranoid.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Just to clarify.. is she chewing on a feather still attached to her or just chewing on one thats fallen out previously

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Been keeping a real close eye on her. Since moving her again right next to my spot where I sit on the sofa and buying her another cage, she seems much better no more smell and no more chewing. Hopefully she is a happier gal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: