Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Cage and new Kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Cage and new Kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sahil112

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Cage and new Kakarikis

Hi

I have been reading on this forum for days now and I have been trying to get as much info as I can to make a decision but so unsure.

I have ordered this cage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141363469567

I don't know if this is a good size cage or not?

Also I am thinking of getting 2 kakarikis. 1 male and 1 female. They will both be 16 weeks old.

1. Is this cage to small for them?
2. Will getting 2 at once be a bad idea? I have had budgies before but they do well in pairs so unsure about kakarikis.

I work from home so will be with them most of the day.

My living room size is 5m by 5m so I will be letting them out most of the day to fly around etc but not for the first few days/weeks till they are comfortable in their surroundings.

Any advice will be great appreciated before I decide to buy these beautiful birds!

sahil112

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Also, will getting a 4 month old kakariki be to hard to tame or will it be fine? They will be coming from an aviary.

Thanks.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Cage would be cool.... give them as much free time out as possible...always feed them in the cage and also have them sleep there. Makes getting them back easier. More info on this in old posts.

Replace the perches with old branches at different heights.
and one across the out side of the door.. makes landing .. perching comfortable and easy for them,

2 at once best idea.. they sort there spaces out together
BUT
Male and female... kakariki are easy to breed and breed like rabbits and in mild or in door environments all yr round... putting out a batch of 6 to 8 (sometimes more) every 8 to 10 weeks.
So you will NEED a very holding AVAIRY where u can transfer fledged chicks before 2 weeks to, and have several adult males to finish weaning them off.
You will end up with around 12 to 30 birds in there on a constant basis.

So I would strongly suggest a couple males... or maybe a burke and/ or a turq and a male kakariki... or if noise is not an issue a cockatel
But again introduce all at the same time.

Kakariki are very independent by nature... and active.. if they have stuff to do, they dont start plucking feathers etc.. of ANY species they are the least likely to do so.

Taming.. a little common-sense, thinking thru, and more reading in the forums.. a parrot species with a little intelligence is easy tamed be it from the wild and many yrs old or a few months old and parent raised.
Parent raised or from the wild, these tend to be more independent 'thinkers' we co habit and interact as 'flatmates' rather than pscologicaly dependant ... hence no feather plucking when go on holiday etc.
Again further reading in the forums for more how tos and why etc

Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the information.

I have decided to return the cage and I have know ordered this one. I am hoping this will be a bit more humane to their needs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Popamazing-Breeding-Aviary-Cockatoo-Parrot/dp/B01C5K475G?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_142849471_TE_item

With regards to male and female breeding, if I provide them with no nest, will they still breed?

If they do decide to breed but I dont want the eggs etc, would it be bad to just remove the eggs from them or is that cruel?

Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Thats an even better cage.
Just saw another question of yours in another thread

They live around 5 to 8 yrs in the wild.. with good diet etc in captivity anything from 10 to 18yrs .. occasionally more... generally the 12 to 14 with good care in a cage. The longer4 term has been in avairies min 1.2m deep x 2.4m wide 1.8m heigh, in most .. near all cases.

Kakariki breed easy.. it is not uncommon in the wild to dig nests under the roots of trees when trees not around... or under a log in a earth floor aviary... or simply tuck up into the cnr of a cage, far smaller than the 1st.
It they go to nest... the female becomes recluse.. the male attend her... and you become or of a onlooker like having fish in a aquarium...and they come when u tap on the glass or drop food in.
Try to stop a hen from laying is very difficult.. so much so we dont waste our time trying... removing eggs... most species will simply replace during nesting season.
Which is basically how breeders can produce more birds than normal from a pair over a season... and incubate artificially , and hand raise.

Hense why
Quote:
So I would strongly suggest a couple males... or maybe a burke and/ or a turq and a male kakariki... or if noise is not an issue a cockatel
But again introduce all at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

Hi
Kakarikis are the most amazing companions.

If you want to keep your birds in the house with you I would also suggest 2 males. You will really enjoy their company. As Steptoe suggests if you introduce them both to the cage at the same time they will soon sort themselves out and settle in.

I bought a pair of Kakarikis last year and now have 15 (2 clutches) in an aviary with a large flight (7m x 2m x 3m) for the young. When the mother decided she wanted to lay a 3rd clutch I replaced her eggs with dummy ones. When these didn't hatch she buried them and left the nest box which I then removed from the parents part of the aviary.

Everything you need to know about kakarikis is either already part of this forum or available from the vast amount of knowledge that the members have.

Thank you all for everything you have taught me about kakarikis.

Ty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: