Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Cold Weather
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Cold Weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Cold Weather

Hi.

I live in uk norwich. I have two cinemon kakarikis. The weather here is starting to get a little chilly and i am worrying about the birds being too cold.

Before i had these i used only allow the heating to be turned on when i was in the home but now i am thinking i should leave it on all day.

so as to keep them warm. what do you guys suggest.

i dont want to make it too hot as it cant be good for them nor to cold.

I do worry a lot about my birds, as i have only recently lost my yellow male kakariki. He just died suddenly without any reason. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

anyway look forward to hearing your thoughts

kind regards

salina
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject:

Kakariki are very tolerant of the cold weather. Just ask the Kiwis. They invented the Ugg Boot over there. Gradual drops and rises in temperature are fine. From your post I assume the birds are indoor. If that is the case they should be fine without heating. Just keep them away from cold draughts.
Perhaps Steptoe (Daddy Kiwi) can give you a better idea of the temperature differences these birds endure in their native country. Kiwis are used to running hot and cold. Just look at their rugby and cricket teams. Think
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:

lmao

Refer for NZ wild Kakatiki weather extemes
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopicp-1504.html#1504

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Warm Area

Thanks for all the information.

I was thinking of making a small area in which the birds can go and snuggle up if it gets too cold.

the pet shop has this odd little contraption made of velvert that you can hang from the top of the cage but knowing my birds they tend to chew things to bits.

can any of you suggest something i could make for them to go in when they are cold or a better contraption for sale.

kind regards

salina
josy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:

Ive been looking on a website and found the perfect thing have a look at www.24parrot.com and go to accesories and then to hideaways these are perfect we are thinking of buying them for our two . They are availible in different sizes and are great for them to hide in and get away from the cold. let me know what you think. Laughing
kakariki
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:

Hi Josy,
I live in the Netherlands. I keep them sheltered and warm the aviaries to ca 5C in winter. It's more for myself then for the birds. The waterbottles don't freeze. I think it is important to keep the aviaries dry. When moist can't go out there will be a lot of bacteria. I think they can get sick in constant wet aviaries.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: