Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Gagging like action - normal behaviour or vetinary care?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Gagging like action - normal behaviour or vetinary care?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kieron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Gagging like action - normal behaviour or vetinary care?

Hi there.
firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place, I have only just signed up here.

I recently purchased a lovely red crowned kakariki (named him Loki as he was very active and seemed to be up to no good all the time!) I'm not entirely sure how old he is as the breeder couldn't give me confident answer, although he is under a year old.
he's been with us for 2 weeks now.

Recently he started to 'gag' quite often. He stretches his neck out, opens his beak a sticks his tongue out in a gag like motion. I have tried reading things online however like most diagnostic pages online I've read everything from he's going to die to he loves me and is regurgitaing food.

It may be worth noting that he's not yet tame, although he has the confidence to jump on my arm to fly out the cage when I try to rest my hand in his cage (the cheeky sod!) Which is making taming somewhat more difficult :L.

He also seems less active. But as I've only had him for 2 weeks I'm not confident that its only due to the fact he has already explored all there is to explore.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning and sharing experiences on this site,
Kieron
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Get him to a vet ASAP
Classic symptoms...
sounds like he has worms in the crop which normal worming drugs and methods do not work.
Requires direct worming into the crop and care in a warm/ quiet ' hospital' cage for observation for couple days following.
IF u dont, and if correct, he will reach a point that he will go down hill very fast, in hrs and not long after reach a point of no return.

The vet should take samples and check with dyes under a microscope to verify type of worms. bacteria present.

In the mean time wash down his environment well, then mist spray with a 50/ 50 soln of vinegar and water
This should be part of general 'maintenance' anyway
make use of the "Quick Search " block on the left vinegar and cider vinger and start reading

Quote:
he's been with us for 2 weeks now.

With such a sort period it is VERY likely that the worms where present before u got him.
ANYTHING like this, as a breeder, I request that we be notified ASAP...and know others also WANT to be notified.
The primary reason is so we can then check and know if we have any thing like this lucking in our other stock, flights etc... and not release any stock till we KNOW we have nothing.
Regardless with such short notice and if the bird is effected negatively in any way , we will replace...
Responsible breeders not only do regular PREVENTIVE maintenance, but does for worms mites etc before releasing any stock.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: gagging reflex

Hi, I have just joined this site for advice re my three month old kakariki kali and what food to give and saw your post. Kali did that gagging thing last week and I panicked...and hand dripped water into his mouth thinking he had something stuck.....what has happened to your bird?? Kali hasnt done it since but now I am concerned....he is very active and doesnt appear unwell...he is very tame and sits on my shoulder and will try and put his beak in my mouth which I obviously dont allow Not talking . Someone said he was probably trying to feed me so maybe the gagging thing is connected to this? I hope your bird is ok..
Kieron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:

Hi there.

Thank you for your advice, as suggested I took him to the vets. Fortunately he turned out to be healthy and okay which I am relieved to hear.

@Sue
Hi Sue. As mentioned before Loki turned out to be okay, however I would not like to say that means that Kali is too (Although I certainly hope he is). As I am no expert, nor will I pretend to be, for the sake of being safe I would suggest following the advice given to me and get Kali checked out as soon as you can.

I hope that Kali is okay and I apologise for not being able to provide you with better and more experienced knowledge.
Please do return here and let me know how Kali gets on, I would be glad to hear how he is doing

All the best,
Kieron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: