Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New to Kakarikis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New to Kakarikis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: New to Kakarikis

Hello , i have had my 2 kakarikis for about 5 months now , Jessie & Mr parsley, they have decided to have a family , totally unexpected to me not what i had planned , to cut a long story short they had 9 eggs and up to now 8 chicks the eldest being almost 4 weeks old .

Jessie is now spending a lot of time in the 2nd nesting box leaving Mr Parsley to care and feed for the chicks , my concern is there are 4 chicks that are quite big now and the other 4 smaller and go down in size due to age i worry that they wont get fed enough will the elder chicks take the food 1st should i take them out now and again and feed them to give the younger ones a better chance of getting food ? if i can manage to post a pic i will and i really would appreciate any advice given thank you so much
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

Just leave them to it.. they have been doing this for many 1000s of years and quite good at it
Just supply them with good consistent varied diet.. and lots protein....

Find the sticky thread "what do you feed....."

We have had 3 pair, breed non stop for 3 yrs, putting out batches every 8 to 10 weeks nps

Once u have established the holding flight where chicks are moved to, u will have several un paired males. The day after the chicks emerge from the nest , move them to the holding flight, before the eye iris developes. The free males will uncle, wean the new chicks, take the 'load' off the dad... and u will not confuse the young with the dad or hen... no iris in the chicks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steptoe,

thank you for your reply, i am confused as i dont know what a holding flight is !

At the moment the chicks are in the nesting box attached to the outside of the cage , the entrance hole is actually about 10 inches high from the floor of the cage mum and dad are feeding the elder chicks as they pop their heads out , now you have told me the elder ones will become uncles i am not worried that the smaller ones wont get food.

still worried they may fall out though!

i would like to post pictures to you but dont understand the sizing down of pics Sad

Feeding .... i make fresh scrambled egg 4/5 times a day including shell that has been ground down to a fine powder, also giving fresh kale broccoli green beans apples and strawberry's along with beaphar xtra vital premium food , beaphar super premium pellets and liquid calcium added to fresh drinking water daily is their any thing else i should be doing ?

I can not see if the iris has developed yet to me the eyes look black.

I am sorry for all the questions i never expected that they would have chicks .

also have 6 budgies here , they all live in a large room adapted just for them . my kakarikis have flight freedom from about 6am to 3 pm . from around 3pm to 7 pm my budgies have free flight then the kakarikis are out again till around 11pm

i will look on this site for information re holding flight.

thank you again for you help any more you can give me will be much appreciated thank you :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

Holding flight is a flight in an aviary where one moves birds to once they have fledged

Quote:
still worried they may fall out though!

thats basically how the chicks leave the nest... then sort of fall flutter to the mulch on the forest floor.....once there they start to climb to as high as they can and sit under a ledge or similar.
Eventually they get tired and fall again , this time with wings out.. more a uncontrolled glide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: