Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki Species - How to keep them pure?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki Species - How to keep them pure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Kakariki Species - How to keep them pure?

Hello!

I live in Australia and started gathering good breeding stock last year for me to breed further. However for years before that I hand-raised them and had them as pets.

The breeder I got most of my stock from has been breeding birds for pretty much his entire life (he's getting old now and will be retiring from breeding within the next 10 years). His original Kakariki stock were of pure bloodlines directly from NZ, and I would like to pretty much take over his breeding of Kaks. His/our birds are some of the purest Kakarikis possible to obtain here. I want to keep them as pure as I possibly can, so I will need much help from people on here!

I currently own 1 unrelated pair of Red Crowned BEC's, 1 unrelated pair of Yellow Crowned Normals (Green), a spare Red Crowned BEC hen and a spare Yellow Crowned Normal hen.

The female of the first pair stated is related to the new male we will be receiving soon for our spare BEC hen.
The male of the first pair is related to the spare BEC hen.

The female of the second pair is related to the new male we will be receiving soon for our spare YC hen.
The male of the second pair is related to the spare YC hen.

Sorry if this is confusing.

I’d like to know how to keep the species as pure as possible and any ‘projects’ i should undertake?
I also would like to know the current status of these species in the Wild/Captivity in NZ..?

Thank you!
~Lii
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
His original Kakariki stock were of pure bloodlines directly from NZ,

For a start, thats a load of rubbish.. We have not exported any native birds other than those gifted an supplied to Zoos on rare occasions and they did not include kakariki
As to possible sourcing and smuggling pure wild stock...
1/ wild stocks have been so depleted on the main land, espec RC,
2/ captive have been hybridized in NZ since around the 1940s due to incorrect experimentation by the old Wildlife Dept of the time in regards to the orange crown not being a separate species.
3/Internationally (from Iceland to middle east , Aussie , the Americas) capitive stocks have become interbreed over the last 100Plus yrs due to a mentally that pure breed was not a priority in breeding programs.. Only in the last 10 yrs or so has this become important with every tom dick and harry claiming to have pure breed.

Yes with good breeding programs one can get back to acceptable 'pure breed' with several breeders in Aussie being very successful... other claim to be but not.
Check out some of these guys in the gallery section.
To do this one needs an extensive avairy setup, source good stock over many yrs (even decades) HOPEFULLY of different genetic stock which is also very unlikely to be able to do so after 100 yrs of limited initial stocks...
Even so carefully breeding lines . back breeding , introduction of new pure blood, and strict culling of any defects , even culling back whole blood lines.
One can once again produce maybe 2 or 3 pure breed blood lines

And I repeat this is something thats only been going on in recent yrs... with only a handful of dedicated breeders around the world.

Quote:
I’d like to know how to keep the species as pure as possible

Simple dont interbreed the species...
No not confuse mutation with hybrid.

As we no longer have the mutation genes in NZ stock, captive or otherwise (whys explained elsewhere in the forums.."quick Search" block on the left) I cant say how accurate inspection of crowns is on mutations... but the slightest orange or yellow feather in the crown of a RC indicates hybridization and visa versa for YC.
The RC has a distinct ear patch... the YC there are 2 schools of thought
1/ No ear patch, to which our own breeding programs tend to indicate now
2/ yellow ear patch of varying definition, possibly due to localised breeding/ mutation
The latter I used to believe , but no longer

There are examples of species and mutations in the galley section
And note the RC kakariki in the logo above... thats a hybrid.. which is why it winks at u.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: