Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - hanging in next box but no eggs...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

hanging in next box but no eggs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dublin_101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: hanging in next box but no eggs...

Hi,

i've recently purchased a pair of Kakarikis to add to my existing budgie and cockatiel aviary. i must admit, these birds are amazing and i already want to buy more.

with the pair i bought, one is female and one is male - i have many breeding boxes in the aviary and nest boxes...it seems that this pair have particularly selected one box and also a log next to it.

for the last few days, the female has been spending a very long time in the breeding box and today i thought that there would perhaps be an egg or two in there. to my surprise though, there are no eggs.

i'm very curious to know if this is a common practice or is there an issue? i believe the hen has been spending most of the past 5 days in the box (with the male visiting here regularly).

any tips and advice would be appreciated.

PS - the kakarikis are in the same aviary with the budgies, etc, and they seem to be getting on well and the budgies don't go near her nests. for the nest material, i've used some fine mulch.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject:

This is not uncommon in many species of birds..including hens
there is no conclusive research as to why this happens.
maybe over intimidation by other birds, just a shy female, ore my get on with the cock but doesnt accept as a m8??? maybe its a hen thats been matched/ breed off before, not willing to take on another full time m8.
And yes even thu any or more than 1 of the above may happen, it doesnt mean she will not accept being feed by the cock bird

If u have the kakariki in the same aviary, when/if she does lay, chances are u will have real issues the kakariki becoming very territorial around the nesting box area. So much so the female will not spend enough time incubating hens....and maybe damaged other birds.
Not to the aggressiveness of red rumps or love birds thu.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
This is not uncommon in many species of birds..including hens
there is no conclusive research as to why this happens.
maybe over intimidation by other birds, just a shy female, ore my get on with the cock but doesnt accept as a m8??? maybe its a hen thats been matched/ breed off before, not willing to take on another full time m8.
And yes even thu any or more than 1 of the above may happen, it doesnt mean she will not accept being feed by the cock bird

If u have the kakariki in the same aviary, when/if she does lay, chances are u will have real issues the kakariki becoming very territorial around the nesting box area. So much so the female will not spend enough time incubating hens....and maybe damaged other birds.
Not to the aggressiveness of red rumps or love birds thu.

thanks for that...i will give it a few more days and then make a decision. i find that the kakarikis are fine with the budgies and cockatiels, i haven't seen any issues yet and they've all been together for a few weeks now.

i've never witnessed the kakarikis mating, but i'm not home much during the day. i'm not sure if they mate a lot or not, but would like to know if they mate many times during a nice summer day.

i believe both the male and female are 1 year old. they have access to all types of food, corn, seeds, sunflower seens, grass with seeds, cuttlefish, carrots, etc....so i believe their diet is fine (i also add vitamin powder to their drinking water).
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

Protein plays a big part in kakariki diet... left over cooked meat
Find a thread here "what do you feed..."
Most NZ native birds have evolved different due to no mammals....in diets and behavours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I have to report that I found the hen dead in her box today. I don't know how she died. It has been very hot in the past few days but I've made sure that there is plenty of water and regular mist sprays during the day.

I am very sad and I would like to know how she died - but too late. Could the 'heart attack' theory be true? There are other birds in the aviary and so far they are coping so far.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Heat could be an issue, thu kakariki, of any species is extremely tolerant of heat and cold.
Going from the previous history, I would be more leaning towards her being extremely incompatible with the male... to the point of being intimated into 'hiding ' in the nesting box where the male has been forcing her to go....
We have seen this on rare occasions in the past....
Does her breast bone/ meat fell full/ healthy?
This MAY indicate the above and lack of food....
Or that for a long time she has not been well...most properly before u even got her....which would also explain the nesting box hiding.

I believe, the most likely is u have a hen, who if it was in the nature, as a chick would never have survived....a dud...but being in supervised captivity , survives but finally succumbs when the stress of mating, nesting takes place... then throw hot summers in on top of that... and a strange community aviary.

Good breeders reconise this in chicks and young adults and cull... it is not uncommon for many breeders/ pet shop to simply pass the bird on and take the money.

I very sure it is not anything u have done or not done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: