Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Need to know list for vet trip
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Need to know list for vet trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunnsa
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Need to know list for vet trip

I have an appointment with an avian vet at the end of the month. The birds are all going for a general check-up and I do have faith in this particular vet but I do not know how much he knows about kakarikis. So I'm hoping that you can help me with some general knowledge that I've not been able to find through the quick search.

Claw lenght. Kak's claws are supposed to be long, but how long is long? 1/4 of the toe length or longer?

Weight. Is it correct that the average weight of kak's is between 60 - 70 grams? I've got a newly aquired hen that I suspect is severely underweight. She's not yet tame so I've not been able to weigh her properly myself.

The hen is going to have a more thorough check-up than the other three males, as I am a bit concerned about her general health. She doesn't eat fresh food except for a small amount of broccoli or sweet corn, she prefers seeds and won't touch the greens even though the rest of the flock eats them. She also seems occasionally have trouble swallowing her food and I suspect that she does not drink enough. Her feet feel papery and dry, not smooth. All birds have recently had mite treatment but I will ask the vet to check for mites and parasites.

I am basically prepared for the vet visit except for knowledge of the claw length and weight, which is what I know the vet will ask. So, if some of you knowledgeable people could answer these questions I would be very grateful.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Claw lenght. Kak's claws are supposed to be long, but how long is long? 1/4 of the toe length or longer?

longer.. dont worry about it...it is very rare and unlikely u will have an issue, and IF u do, the kakariki will trim them up themselves.

Quote:
Weight. Is it correct that the average weight of kak's is between 60 - 70 grams?

That is an 'official type' guide line... like people they can vary greatly in weight and size.. female usually smaller than males... other indicators are far better... eye brightness, very active, eat well, good feather structure and a floresent shine to the colouring, stands well, and alert

Quote:
The hen is going to have a more thorough check-up than the other three males, as I am a bit concerned about her general health. She doesn't eat fresh food except for a small amount of broccoli or sweet corn, she prefers seeds and won't touch the greens even though the rest of the flock eats them. She also seems occasionally have trouble swallowing her food and I suspect that she does not drink enough. Her feet feel papery and dry, not smooth. All birds have recently had mite treatment but I will ask the vet to check for mites and parasites.

Sound very much like a serious internal parasite issue... if used the correct method invermectin and apple cider vinegar and 50/50 water vinegar soln ( use "quick search" block on left for more info) and repeated doses, then u would have most properly dealt to the worm issue at the same time.....
Also u should be dosing all the birds if they have been put together or shared a flight.....
I assume the un well bird has been isolated for a while in a hospital cage?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:

Most vets look for austrailian parrots as buggies, kakariki's claws are longer. Good vets do see the veins in the claws, in the bright ones better than in the dark. The ending of the veins show the shortest cut, ... but kakariki like to have longer claws, than this minimal cutpoint.

The weight of our kakariki varyfies between 50g ( yf hen ) to 100g (rc cock) and all they are in best conditions.

It's not the first time we hear about kakariki not eating freshfoot. (... ... ... i'm a vegetarian human... my life is very good without meat ... <v> )

For ten kakariki we have to collect 10 favorite crops / foods - they are only human Shocked
Gunnsa
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject:

I recently got the hen and a juvenile male, both are rehoming cases from the same home. They were kept separately in a quarantine cage and all birds both new and old got treated for mites at the same time.

I was unfortunately unable to keep the old and new birds separated very long as one of my older birds got hit by the father instinct towards the juvenile (who was only 7 weeks old) and broke into the quarantine cage, which made his brother follow suit. I do know that I will have to treat all birds for parasites, should it be that what is wrong with the hen. She is very active, eats seeds very well, has bright eyes and good plumage, the only visible signs that something may be wrong is her dry feet and how light she feels compared to the males.

As a rule I always use 50/50 vinegar/water solution to clean the cages once a week and i sprinkle a dash of apple cider vinegar on the fresh food regularly and I will continue to do so as the older birds seem to thrive well on it.

The newcomers are rehoming cases and I know very little about the hen's background other than that she was born in Sweden, is two years old and the only pure red-fronted. The juvenile was born at the previous owner's house and is a hybrid. Both birds lived with 9 other kaks in an aviary (2m long x 1m wide x 2m high). When I went to pick them up I noticed that the aviary was not as clean as I would have liked it to be and some of the other birds had bald spots around their eyes, so I suspected that there would be a mite problem.

I would not have bought these birds from any breeder, but since all birds had to be rehomed and I could find space for two I offered to take them. I had no intention of getting a female, but as the previous owner seemed totally unaware of the fact that the hen was pure red-fronted and the other were hybrids and announced that she could be bred with any one of the flock I decided to take her in order to prevent some hybrid breeding.

I'm posting some pictures of the hen and her feet if they can be of some help.

Koru_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.48 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)

Koru_1.jpg

Koru_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.65 KB
 Viewed:  69 Time(s)

Koru_2.jpg

Koru_foot1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.02 KB
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

Koru_foot1.jpg

Koru_foot2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.37 KB
 Viewed:  68 Time(s)

Koru_foot2.jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Those claws maybe a little longer than usual, other than that ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: