Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - My males female is gone now what do I do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

My males female is gone now what do I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdLover80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: My males female is gone now what do I do?

would I be able to put other type small birds in my kakarikis cage with him?
such as parakeets or a non aggressive bird now that he lost his female? what do I do? Sad
Crossie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes of course you can, as long as both species are non aggressive and your not planning to have a pair of breeding birds in with a single bird. Obviously ensure you have enough room to accommodate everyone.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind most animals to some degree are territorial .. ie get possessive abou7t their immediate enivorment....
It may mean u have to change the cage position, perches etc and introduce both at the same time.
Do not mistake a bit of pecking order as a issue, this is normal, as to who gets the top 'bunk'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Will my male kak be ok by himself or does he need a mate or company?? There are other birds around him in seperate cages. I just want him happy.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject:

Kakariki are a very active bird... it is not so much company they need but free flight time on a regular basis each day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject:

Ok great to know .. Don't want him lonely that's all and will work on getting safe free flight space. So no wing clipping??? I clipped them cuz breeder was gonna do it for me. I can let them grow back out though. He does fly around his cage but not quite a free flight exploration like he needs I suppose??
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject:

Please .. do it, it's not a way to go for livetime, and get him a adult partner, not a "teeny" Rolling Eyes
BirdLover80

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:

In saying "teeny" you mean a small bird just to put in the cage. I need to get a female partner for him to bond with??
Georg
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject:

Yes, thats the way i would chous. a adult female partner.

Another way, nut not mine, is to choose a adult male partner, a way without eggs
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject:

If not breeding or dont have a holding flight to keep off spring... keep 2 males...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:

Would live to breed but everyone is selling for outrageous prices. I am trying to wait until a bird show to find a breeder with a cheap female like where I got my pair from before I lost my female. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity and I don't want a baby I want a female of breeding age. Hopefully someone will come through and give me a break. 😢
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: