Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Wing Clipping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Wing Clipping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Wing Clipping

This weekend we decided to clip the wings of our birds (a Kakariki and a Cockateil).

Hector, the cockateil has really benefited from this, before he sat on our fingers for a minute or two then flew off. Now he sits on my husbands shoulder for HOURS - wonders around the house up there and savages anyone who tries to get him down before he's ready!

However, its Milly the kakariki I'm concerned about. She looks so miserable and it hasnt really made her any friendlier. Before, when she could fly she came out of her cage on her own for hours at a time several times a day - now she doesnt want to come out and when she does she just hides behind the setee!

We tried to force her to sit on my knee yesterday and she travelled down to my foot and bit me (I've never been bitten by her before and IT HURT!!!)

How long will it take for her wings to grow back?

Has anyone any ideas how I can tame her?

What do you guys think of wing clipping?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Sassy
Kaka-riki
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject:

Sassy,
How much of the wing did you clip. The amount clipped and how many feathers will determine how long it takes for the feathers to re - grow. It may be not until the next moult that the feathers will fully re - grow.
The biggest problem with wing clipping is that in some birds it takes away their independence and confidence. Not being able to fly away from danger or uncomfortable situations has left your Kakariki feeling vulnerable. I would take things a step backwards and start again. Teach your Kakariki that not being able to fly is okay. Try hand feeding her in the cage and gradually work her confidence back up. Just take things one step at a time and I am sure once she regains confidence her chirpy behaviour will return.
Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks Kaka

I really regret doing it now. We took about 1/2 her end wings off - she can flutter down to the ground but not really fly.

I'll just have to spend more time with her I guess. Thanks again
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject:

Hi, I have 13 pet birds made up of a Major Mitchell, Galah, Princess Parrot, Sun Conure, 2 Indian Ringnecks, 6 cockatiels and Kowhai my Kakariki - of all these birds I only until recently clipped the wings on 2 of my tiels as they travel around with me when I go out and as I have a stall at the local markets they sit out on their play stand but about 4 weeks ago I clipped the wings on Kowhai for 2 reasons - his safety and my sanity, I was so frightened that he would escape out the door as you would know that the kakarikis are little pocket rockets.

Kowhai was totally UNIMPRESSED and sulked, it was rather a rude shock to him that one minute he's flying around then bang - can't do anything but run around the floor. I felt awful at seeing him miserable and just sitting in his cage not wanting to come out so I placed the cage on the floor and left the door open, eventually after about a week he started to venture out, still trying to fly but soon realised it wasn't about to happen so he just ran around everywhere.

I had a heck of a time trying to catch the little fella to put him back in his cage but now it works either of 2 ways - when he is ready to go in he will walk back in himself and hop up on his perch or if I have a reason that he need be put back in I started to teach him to 'step up' onto a stick, he lost some faith in me when I clipped his wings and it really was a case of starting all over again.

He is doing excellent now, accepts that his wings aren't going to get him off the ground and is happy to run and climb over everything, he takes himself off to the playgym and amuses himself there, he will find me wherever I am and content to be near me and helping me.

I have seen some absolute horror 'wing clips', people that don't know what they are doing will clip way too high and this can cause permanent damage in that the flight feathers may never fully re-grow or may only partially re-grow.

I hope your kike will settle and be happy, unfortunately it's time and gaining that trust back because you took away his freedom but I can say from my own personal experience with Kowhai all is going really well and he loves me again Applause

(The only thing that stays the same is change !!)
Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject:

Thank you Indi

You've made me feel so much better. Although its horrible that your kakariki didnt like his wings clipped either - I'm glad you've had the same experience as me because your little fella forgave you and I'm hoping Milly will forgive me too!! Pray

The cockateil responded SO WELL - he's a different bird - as TAME as a bird can be - he even went outside with my hubby yeaterday - and at one point was on the ground eating grass, heard a motorbike, got scared and quickly ran back onto his shoulder! Taking your teils to work with you is ADORABLE - I'm very jealous. Hector doesnt like it on my shoulder because of my hair. but he likes my hubby and daughter.

I just cant understand how Milly can be so different! I'll just spend more time with her, and hopefully she'll be sick of sulking too.

As for the actual ammount I've clipped, I'm afraid to say I dont know if I've done it right or not. My husband held the guys and I cut the feathers. I KNOW I DIDNT HURT THEM! Definatly not and I cut about half of thier big end feathers off and just very slightly trimmed the bottom ones.

I dont know if we did it right or not - we had no idea what clipping feathers meant before someone told us it was merely trimming flight feathers. We both thought it was some awful Wing breaking operation similar to docking puppies tails!

Neither of us had a clue what we were doing. We just heard it was the best thing to do - made a decision and did it. As I say, I know I didnt hurt them because they didnt react or squeek.

They cant 'fly' now but can both flutter down to the ground safely. Thanks again, I DO feel a bit better now.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:

Kikes unlike most other birds are consistently on the go.
Flight uses a Lot of energy, so watch for getting over weight.
Kikes escaping...They normally don't go far away, don't chase them.
put their cage where it can be seen outside with breakfast in.
And or use a live rat trap.(like a small possum trap with a spring loaded door) near the cage or on top of your aviary.
Odds are u will find him in the cage or trap next morning. If not later that day.
We have 2 kakariki in a cage, nether can fly, 1 due to a lung condition the other the base of the flight feathers was 'nipped' not long after hatching. The one that had been 'nipped' still spreads time just trying to take off. She is quite happy and adapted from day 1 to running /climbing exceptionally well
Personally I would prefer to loose a undeformed kakariki that has known flight, than clip a wing.
I have mentioned Sam (a Sulphur Crested) before..he went everywherevwith me...Driving long trips, the pub, circus, shopping, parties, ride the motor bike , to the beach and into the bush...I never clipped his wings.
My wife has a friend with a Sulphur Crested in the country, it flys free returning each day except during breeding season.
I know of another person who has a kike on a farm, it spends the day out in the paddocks flying around the tractor.
There is another breeder in the country who some time ago accidentally left the door open. the kikes return each evening, and still breed/feed in the flight.
Some time ago I was reading an article, an interview with a parrot owner in the local park
Asked how his parrot stays around....the answer went something like this.
"would take them outside in their cages for a few weeks, then came the day to open the doors....was one of the hardest things he had ever done. Then to see the bird fly up into the trees with heart in his mouth. It didn't come back for many hrs, but to go outside later and see him sitting quite happy on the cage was a great relief, eventually going inside for a feed." he then repeated each day, it was his confidence that rose, not the birds.
He went on to say that he had lost a couple birds over the yrs, and is sure it was hawks or something like that.....the reward of seeing his parrots flying free is worth every bit.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject:

Hi Sassy, I just re-read what I wrote last night and I sort of worded something a little wrong - my tiels have been clipped for ages, Dusty and Craker are both nearing 2 years, I bred them and handreared them and they have been travelling around with me all that time, the way I worded it sounded like I had only 'recently' clipped them, it was only Kowhai (pronounced Co-fi) that was recently clipped.

There are 3 different styles of clips that I'm aware of, wing clipping can be a topic that can really get people into a huff but we do what we believe is right for our own bird and situation.

I have some information and also an easy to follow diagram showing the different feathers and which ones to cut, tomorrow I will find it and TRY to 'copy and paste' the info here and attach the diagram. I would do it now but it's nearing midnight here in Aussie and i'm handrearing at the moment around the clock so I need to find my bed for a couple of hours Rolling Eyes

Here's a pic of Cracker and Dusty my 2 tiels that travel with me. I'll be back tomorrow Wink

INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject:

wall I don't know where my pic went - sorry wall

Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks Indi

I REALLY appriciate it xoxo

Admin Edit: Changed the 2 x s at the end of your post. Seach engines (Google etc) crawl our site, they have 'bad words' lists if the see x s like thatthe tend to up rate the site to adult...a techie thing. I the same applied in the member ifo block at the end of the ip #s ..changed that to zeds.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:

Indi
would u be able to make the wing clipping instructions in the Vets Cnr It is imporant enough to be a reference thread in its own right.
My anti wing clipping opinion is mine only..it is not the opinion or policy of this site.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:

This is uncanny I am going through exactly the same thing with toby....last week we had an incident....he jumped on my shoulder and then started flap flap flapping ...his nails were caught in my jumper anyway long story short I thought he was going to kill himself he really freaked out I tryed to help him and he bit me (hard) never even attemped before I think it was the fear after about 15m he got outand just sat on the floor with his beak open and his toes all crunched up....I thought he was going to keel over and die.....so that night I clipped him I thought this is rediculas the bird thinks my hands will hurt him instead of help......he sulked and still is a week on..... later that week he got one of his nails caught in the door spring again I tryed to help he freaked I thought he was going to chew his toe off so I caught him again and clipped his nails now he really hates me he flinches when I walk past the cage he just took food of me for the first time yesterday, hes getting better but he is misrable and I do regret it but I thought I was doing the best thing for him at the time I clipped him like the tiel too whick i think was too much and he really cant fly far at all.........That why I havent been on much lately I just feel so awful i took the one thing he loves... and he just makes me want to cry because he hates me so much now....I think once his wings are back i will get him a hen and put him out in an aviary....hopefully that will make him happy####kellie
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:

He will get over it, hand him the odd treat every now and then. Bit of a peace offering.
Budgies, 'tiels. burkes dont seem to mind to much..
Kies can fool u, one can get to think at they dont think matter too much .....
They do,
they ARE very unique in their nature, how they relate, how they are on the go all the time, how they use their feet, how they climb, . In flocks they come down to u, other parrots in flocks take off high.
Kakariki tend to make 'friends' with you, other parrots get devoted.
So when your friend messes u around, you are going to stay $#@ at them for a while signlol..
The odd peace offering, let him come to u, and give him a good reason to come.
Quote:
I think once his wings are back i will get him a hen and put him out in an aviary

So pet owner/ breeder huh. signlol
This may give u some ideas
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopicp-1327.html#1327

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject:

What you said there is so true toby and i had a mutual respect (which i broke) where as astrix now wants to attach him self to me (look out for the pic of my 2nd head)...hes been much better today singing alot. They are also so darn smart....I am going to start a thread in the pet crn on tobys latest trick. But yeah that how ive been playing it just being cool trying to give him somthing every now and then....still hurts my feelings though (think its just guilt) Sad miss him flying around though landing on all daniels sports memrobilia LOL
INDI
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject:

I'm more than happy with the way Kowhai is now, he seems to be totally over it and it really didn't take that long but it is a matter of him regaining your trust and for that to happen it's time, patience and perseverance. I truly loved to watch Kowhai fly but it just wasn't safe anymore as far as possible escape.

He is totally back to his pocket rocket self, running around 100mph talking away as he goes, he loves to go and annoy the other birds while they are still in their cages, he teases them i'm sure by running up the side of the cage, across the top and down the other side. I've noticed he seems to have a favourite tho' and is more than content to sit for ages on top of the cage and look in talking to my sun conure Shocked

Each bird is so INDIvidual signlol, they will get over it and all will be well again - trust me Wink

(and yes I will put the wing clipping info over on the other forum (I found it) if I can figure out if copy and pasting will work here wall )

>>Sassy<< i've PM'd you !!

Sassy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Kellie & INdi

Indi I'm glad yout bird has forgiven you, I really am. But as for my Milly, I'm not sure she ever will. She is SO unfriendly now. So much so that we're thinking now of just letting her be 'wild' in the cage and concentrating on taming Hector (the teil).

In retrospect I WOULD have clipped the tiel (it REALLY calmed him down) but I would have left Milly the Kakariki alone.

Kellie I know how you feel about missing your kike fly. Poor Milly loved it on top of our mirror (especially pooping down it wall ) but now she cant get up there - and wont allow us to carry her there because we just get savaged everytime we go near her. Milly used to be my WORLD - but now she's what I hate most in the world - a frightened little bird in a cage that doesnt want to come out and is frightened everytime a human comes near.

As for the safety aspect, ironically she's more at risk now. Before she never even tried to fly into windows but now to get away from us she runs behind the TV with wires and plugs all over the place and pecks them. Of course for her own safety we chase her out, but as the TV is so big we cant reach behind it, we have to poke the remote behind her - which of course makes her more frightened!

To tell you the truth, if I knew someone with 1 kakariki and was a good home, I'd let her go to them as I cant see her EVER getting friendlier... but at least she's company for Hector while we're at work. And perhaps when her feathers grow back she'll be nice again.

IN SHORT, IF YOU HAVE A PET KAKARIKI - IN MY OPINION - FORGET WHAT THE BOOKS TELL YOU - DON'T CLIP THIER WINGS. YOU'VE SEEN WHAT HAPPENS WITH THREE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HERE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE WORLD!!!

I've left another message in GENERAL CARE about a wierd thing she's doing, I dont know if thats related to all this or not.

(PS: Sorry about the kisses steptoe.. I see what you mean!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: