Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Pied - dominant/recessive and chicks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Pied - dominant/recessive and chicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WORMIEVADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Pied - dominant/recessive and chicks

Hi all, I am still trying to wrap my head around the pied mutation.
I have a heavy pied with dark eyes, almost completely yellow. His eyes are dark.
He is paired with a normal green hen - no sign of pied. I don't believe she is split to pied, since I saw her clutchmates when I bought her and none of them was pied. All were normals.
Anyway, they just had 2 chicks. Both are pied. They are just starting to feather out and I can tell their tails feathers are pretty evenly split in yellow and green feather kiels. The older is looking like he will be 50% yellow and 50% green.
Sooo....what is my male? If he is a recessive pied, and the hen is a normal, wouldn't the babies be split instead of visible pied?
Could somebody explain the difference of a dominant pied and a recessive pied and a clear eyed and their visual appearance?

Thanks in advance! This is their first clutch (for the pair as well as for me), so my excitement is through the roof.
WORMIEVADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Cock

Here is a picture of the cock

Pied.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.7 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)

Pied.jpg

WORMIEVADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Hen and chicks

And here is the pic of mom and chicks

Hen babies.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.7 KB
 Viewed:  94 Time(s)

Hen babies.jpg

pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject:

Wormie,

the yellow black eyed kakariki are actually a combination of rec. and dom. pied.
Actually the pied mutation is made up of several different "modifiers" with different interactions to each other. That's why there are so many variations in the amount of yellow areas, the shape, etc...

That's why the offspring of your pair is variable. You may get from fully green birds to maybe even black eyed yellows (if the hen is split, which is possible).

Hope this helps!

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Mutations and Species All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: