Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Clear eggs,
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Clear eggs,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billh

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Clear eggs,

I am in Central Florida. I have about ten pairs of kaks. Each pair is in a separate cage . Cage sizes range from 3 ft wide to five ft wide. 18 inches high and deep. Each cage as a nestbox. Their diet consist mainly of Roudybush pellets, dried egg food and some sprouts. During our hot summers, my birdroom is air conditioned. I get very few babies, even from birds that were my own stock. It's not uncommon to have a hen lay 9 eggs and they are all duds. I need help. What am I doing wrong. I have great success with other small birds like lineolated parakeets, parrotlets and bourkes. All are on the same diet.
Thanks.
Bill

PS: Also, I have partitions between the cages so the birds cannot see each other but they can hear each other.
They are the biggest bird in the room
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject:

One golden rule , in my experience is know where what environment and even ecologic make up of where they came from...
Basically environment ranges from snow to generally mids to high 30s C
A sub tropical evergreen ..99.999 % evergreen forest that has evolved for the last few thousand of years with no mammals...thats different to anywhere else in the world... and tends on the humid side... we are in the middle of the ocean.
Reptiles, birds, insects, fish,... this means big birds like the extinct moa, huge orstridge bird, grazed like deer or antelopes.....others rummage in undergrowth like mice, even the Kiwi feels like a dog, not feathers.
Kakariki, are general grazers, fruit, veggies, not too much seed, and a lot of time grubs in the forest floor, rotten logs etc....grubs are high protein...

What u are feeding is a commercial feed for whatever type bird from where ever, put together by ppl with PhDs and make a lot of money doing so.

We also have turqs, bourkes, kings crimsons.
These are Aussie parrots... grass parrots and bush parrots.. the latter live around gum trees... they nest in them.. to get them to go to nest, and lay, one must use gum tree shavings in the nesting box..
All our birds get the same diet....
Basically we feed the scraps from our table, and food preparation, throw in the odd nuked frozen chicken carcass chopped up... few frozen peas, chopped up beetroot
Have a read thru this thread..
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-12.html

I really dont see

Quote:
Cage sizes range from 3 ft wide to five ft wide. 18 inches high and deep.

Kakariki of any parrot/ bird would be the most active all day long....that is not much bigger than our hospital/ isolation cages are....yes kakariki are breed in cages that size, but generally they are paired off , ready to breed , then put in breeding cages like that.
Our kakariki are in flights approx 1.2m wide x 2.4mx L 2m H.....single mesh wire between but nesting boxes and the areas around them is blocked line of sight.... withing days of chicks merging from nesting boxes , they are removed to be uncled off, otherwise even in a flight that size it doesnt take long for pollution levels to get up... kakariki need fresh water for swimming in.

We have kakariki going to nest when still having good frosts.....they will breed all year round.
General rule of thumb, we have found is 75% of healthy adult birds to number of eggs...is acceptable but run around the 80/82%.
The 1st batch can be all dudes to maybe couple chicks to 80%....2nd 50% up from there around 80%.....til around 120 healthy adults , fertility starts droping off... till hit 135/ 140 all be come dudes batch after batch.
Introduce a new female she starts ....the female to another new male.. still duds

So make sure u have nice young females.....it takes about 3 to 4 years before a female becomes 'finished' as above... they are still young and will live on another 10 to 14 yrs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: