Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Infertile eggs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Infertile eggs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feathered-friend

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Infertile eggs

Female laid a batch of infertile eggs.
It's the first clutch this pair have had together and not one out of seven eggs hatched.
What do I do, what could it be, can someone educate me please?
Thanks guys!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject:

99% of the time.. if the birds are mating , it comes down to long term diet.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Can the effects of a bad diet be reversed or is it permanent
Feathered-friend

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I got my birds from two different breaders and its been well over twelve months I've had my male for and well over six that I've had my female for. I'm unsure of how well they were taken care of before now, the male came from a little old lady who's daughter bred them from her home and sent them to her mother to try and sell for some extra cash living across the street from a retirement home she gets a lot of buisness and the female came from an older gentleman who was suffering from cancer and had hundreds of kaks out back. He had hired help with his birds and didn't like to show any body what he had in his cages out back. But didn't mind showing you the ones out front.
Since I've had kaks I've reached out to find as much info as I can and a young guy from a pet shop told me about this site so I've obtained a lot of information here.
The aviary is cleaned once a week, it's inside and I use news paper on the floor.
Water is changed every day and fresh fruit and veg.
I boil an egg every second to third day.
They have cuttlefish and iodine, seed every second day, they like to eat my toast every morning.
Apple, kiwi fruit, tomatoe, carrot, green beans, baby corn, celery,snow peas,.
Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
the male came from a little old lady who's daughter bred them from her home and sent them to her mother to try and sell for some extra cash living across the street from a retirement home she gets a lot of buisness and the female came from an older gentleman who was suffering from cancer and had hundreds of kaks out back. He had hired help with his birds and didn't like to show any body what he had in his cages out back. But didn't mind showing you the ones out front.

I am making several assumptions here from that statement
1/ very likely the birds have been in breed and not culled any defects out nor culling back generations.
2/I doubt under either of those circumstances the birds have had consistent long term healthy diets.
3/u have no guarantee of age or if these birds have been 'breed out... or at least the female has
Experiments we carried out over several yrs and several pairs... hens tend to produce well with 80% healthy adults to eggs... then hit around 110/120 healthy adults and the fertility drops off markedly ... hit 135/ 140 healthy adults and the hen starts to produce 100% dud eggs...
introduce a new female to the males and breeding starts all over again.

Quote:
Apple, kiwi fruit, tomatoe, carrot, green beans, baby corn, celery,snow peas,.
Can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Protein, iron, magensuim, potassuim.....
Meat, cartilage, bone marrow, broccoli / cali stems

http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-12.html

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject:

What's got magnesium and potassium in it?
The eggs have protein and broccoli and cauliflower should have been in the list I provided but my arm is only so long.
Is it possible that he couldn't find the target?
I am really concerned about the inbreeding of kaks, I'm really unsure what to look for when it comes to this subject.
Needing more experience, guess it will come with time.
Feathered-friend

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Do you know a trusted breeder in Victoria Australia steptoe?
Feathered-friend

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Finished my short assignment.
Magnesium and potassium enriched foods= pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coco powder, Brazil nuts, cashews, almonds, molasses, dates, peanut butter, brown rice, corn wild rice, salmon, avocado, bananas, paprika and chillie, loads more.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject:

The diet needs to be balanced...
ie fertility/ eggs , egg binding calcuim is critical (along with other vitamins and minerals) but if the balance of other minerals are not there u can feed all the calcuim u like but the body will not absorb it... same sort of thing goes with plants and fertilizers.
Iron requires citric acid... its like a big chain reaction.

Are u sure on the age of the hen?

Quote:
Is it possible that he couldn't find the target?

yes, but in my experience and that of other breeders, when we have taken on pairs that will not result in fertile eggs, and the hen has not been 'worn out'....that is the usual 'diagnosis' yet we put then up on a good allround diet, thru a bit of vit / mineral supplement in for a short period , presto fertile eggs and chicks... happens too often.
The other issue, therory, we have kicked around and possible in some cases, stress... owners hovering over them... nesting box envoiroment not secure... ie household pets on the prowl etc.[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject:

When I got the female she had two rings on each leg and I said to BoB,
"why does she have two rings?"
He told me that it was his way of knowing what females had layed previously.
I have no idea how old she is.
Might just pull the box and have em both as pets, and when I move house ill look into some breeders.
How do I know if birds are inbred?
How do I low I'm purchasing good lines?
THANK YOU.
Feathered-friend

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject:

What kind of foods containing citrus can I incorporate into my fresh batch when I make it?
Tomatoes
Strawberrys
Raspberrys
Cranberrys
Red and black currents
Kiwi fruit
Grapes
Are these appropriate, will they eat limes and lemons?
Will any of these or are any of these harmful in any way?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject:

you can assume most captive kakariki/ birds are inbreed... that is not so much the issue, but that breeders are not usually ruthless enough to cull back good bird trates even it they do have defects, plus cull back several generations and their off spring.

Good lines....
Bright eyes, alert, big solid birds, big in the breast, well defined colours, pure red to crimson crowns.. a florescence to the body colours, active.
Stand straight, move free and well.
ANY deviation away or the slightest of any one of the above is enough to reject the bird for breeding...
lets face it what breeder is going to let go top breeding birds, unless the prove to be no good at breeding for any reason?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for saying it like it is.
So citrus fruits!
I chopped up a lime and added it to the mix last night, their not dead so it's not going to kill them, but is this the kind of citric acid you were writing about?
If I don't pick your brain it's gonna be hard to find someone else's brain to pick about the subject.
What do I not give them?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If I don't pick your brain it's gonna be hard to find someone else's brain to pick about the subject.

:sad: signlol
I have never bother to give citrus other than when the orange tree is dropping fruit...
Apple and kiwi fruit are given regularly, fejoa, persssium, grapes gavava ( latter at the moment) when in season.
Iron, protein I believe are critical for parrots and espec for kakariki... they spend a lot of time digging for very high protein grubs.
And keep in mind over dose of a given vituim / mineral is just as bad as lacking...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Alright I'll make sure I balance it all out.
Your help has been very appreciated and I'm sure ill be annoying you with loads more questions in the near future.
Once again, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: