Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - i have babies whoop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

i have babies whoop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
850antony
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: i have babies whoop

i went in to do my normal morning checks to hear the little sound of cheaping,mom came out the nest box so i had a quik peek,and i have so far 2 cute little baby kaks..5 to go :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:

Cool...
get good diet in, veggies , chopped cooked meat and bones, apple, kiwi fruit....
Fresh 2x a day...
This produces nice big healty birds...and birds that have been raised on good diet... which in the long term cuts right back on the cost of seed, uses up the kitchen scraps....and have off spring that done need to have the long worry of converting to good diet.

5 to go....expect at lease 2 eggs not to hatch....
I have had a therory for a very long time, not all eggs are meant to hatch, be it kakariki, kings what ever.
When u look at the new chicks they have very weak necks and legs, they huddle around the left over eggs to stay upright.
Also it gives the hen more time to leave the nest without the chicks loosing body heat, the left over eggs act as hot water bottles.....
And along similar lines, if a cold frost comes in makes keeping the good eggs or checks easier for the hen at good tempitures.
We do not remove eggs
When the chicks are bit bigger the hen then buries the old eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject:

what exciting and fun with kids :)
I have to agree with Steptoe, I also let my eggs not hatched remain.
Of all hatched so have all survived - so they do not hatch is probably not supposed to hatch. Though it's just as well, otherwise it would be an enormous number Kaks and I think they are relatively unknown here in Sweden anyway, unfortunately, in general.

Here, the father's mother for 3 weeks and then feed the young mother (mother comes out occasionally for a while) but at about 3-4 weeks so take Dad over feeding and feeding them alone until they are about 2 months and maybe a little more, do not know exactly - but the mother feeds nothing more since she left the nest completely - anyway, I have never seen it on all the hills. Dad Babbles is hugely talented with his kids, he has never lost someone and have even been a stepfather to a girl - the world's best dad Babbles :)
However, I do not know if it is always so, but this has always been so iallfall :)
Swedenkakariki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject:

shit - it looks crazy.... me and english Whistle

1. male feed female in 3-4 weeks
2. female feeds the kids in this time of the first 3-4 weeks
3. the male take over the feeding from this 3-4 weeks until around 2 months

i hope people understand what i write wall
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
shit - it looks crazy.... me and english

lmao

Yep we know exaclty what u are saying , and 3 of our pair have been doing that all year round for just over 4 yrs...non stop.

Quote:
so take Dad over feeding and feeding them alone until they are about 2 months and maybe a little more, do not know exactly

We where talking about this a few yrs ago here, Peter following what Peter does
We remove the chicks after a few days to the holding flight where there are single males....within 30 seconds there where couple these males making sure they where ok, others feeding up and feeding these chicks.
This takes the work load off the father, and better feeding weaning of hen , new chicks and weaning into the flock.
And less work for us.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: chicks

as i said i had 7 eggs in my kaks nest,well all 7 eggs hatched to my amazement..well a couple of weeks on i lost 1 chick,the smallest which was to be exspected i think,the other 6 are doing great eyes open moving around,i have put in a second nest box,parents are brilliant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: