Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - meet Kiwi & me, both new here :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

meet Kiwi & me, both new here :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: meet Kiwi & me, both new here :)

Hello everyone! Ive been reading this web for about a month or so, since I started intersted in kikes and congratulations cause its great really.
So Ive got this new kakariki, Kiwi , red fronted one, and hes all so cute. Hes hand reared but the guy told me he was eating on its own now, but he keeps doing that sound they do, like whimpering you now xD so I bring the syringe with food for baby birds and he gets so excited hehe..

ive seen pics of other kikes and none have a black beak, not even babies, but mine does, like black turning to white..guess thats normal no?

aand..ive read some of you give the kikes parrot food, you mean like for african greys and stuff? cause those are pretty big chunks of food.

For now i have him separated from my other birds, doing a little quarantine just in case his sick.
Im spanish by the way, so any mistake.sorry! :X thanks
[/b]
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject:

Hola Spark,

your English is fine!
Whenever you are in trouble you can ask me in Spanish (I happen to be a Spaniard too). But I will reply in English so everybody understands.

A weaned kakariki if kept with the parents will keep on begging for food, but around a week after jumping out of the nest (i.e. when they are 6-7 weeks old) they are weaned, although it's advisable to keep them a week or two more with the parents, or place them with other adults that "baby-sit" them.

Hope this helps!

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:

Hallo Spark,

w3c

About the black beak... you mean like this?

Qwerty 9 weeks:

Qwerty 9 weeks .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.08 KB
 Viewed:  7812 Time(s)

Qwerty 9 weeks .jpg

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject:

w3c

Quote:
Whenever you are in trouble you can ask me in Spanish (I happen to be a Spaniard too).

We will not hold being a Spaniard against u guys too much Wink

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

Spanish kakariki keepers should be listed as CITES CLASS I, we are an endangered species

Spark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:

well there´s quite a good mixture of countries here not only english and spaniards xD
Gee yeah thats what I meant with the beak, but kiwi has more black, thanks! I searched pics in internet and every one I saw was white and I was like .. is this a very young or a very old one?? xD stupid question of a new keeper wall hehe
gracias pabloc :)no soy la unica española aqui! apparently this guy had him with the other baby kikes, no adults, he barely eats any baby food but hes always asking for it, but its ok with me anyway cause he isnt afraid of me anymore, hes even a bit cheeky xD
today he started biting me and i thought..ok hes making sure my arm is safe..then he started bitin really hard, must ve been funny for him xD i growled at him he got upset so he flew to his cage and went to sleep like..ok I dont wanna play with you anymore :fun:
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject:

Spark,

I handfed 3 kakariki around 4 yrs ago and I can tell you as soon as they learned to fly they became really naughty. As soon as they had a couple of licks of baby formula they were off to explore the world, they are absolutely fearless when they are 4-5 weeks old, they are an amazing bird.

And the aviary raised birds, at least in my case, they are not shy to come play with my shoelaces.

About the beak, sorry I missed it. Some pied kakariki have the tip of the beak white instead of dark blue (or black if you prefer).
Picture:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0pzwmmIOWz8/SuJkfmlSRWI/AAAAAAAAEyQ/KdzvxUwlRsg/001.jpg

Saludos / Pablo

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Spanish kakariki keepers should be listed as CITES CLASS I, we are an endangered species

Hmmm is that good thing or not? lmao
Quote:

well there´s quite a good mixture of countries here not only english and spaniards xD

When u are logged in, the list of members appears in thelog in box on the front page right side....
And can be ordered into countries

From what I know over the yrs kakariki are between Iceland and most of Europe, including eastern europe, States canada, peru, Argentina
Dont know about the rest of Sth and Central America.
Asia, Im pretty sure no.....Austalia yes
Middle east Israil.
Upto this morning I didnt think in the other middle east countries.
But a current email discussion with a new Member here from Jordon

Quote:
"about kakariki's in jordan, i know that they are endangered specicy, but i've seen them alot here in jordan, of course there is only the green and yellow red crowned, and they are not so expensive to buy, less than the cocktails, and people here don't know anything about it, as you've seen my problem two days ago with the pet shop and the small cage. even some pet shops here told me that they are love birds or a kind of budgeis.
as for breeders i think there is a few .. i'm trieng to be a one. kakariki's here are not all imported, some of them are imported from australia as they tell me here, and i saw a lot of chicks, which i think are breeded here in jordan.
kakariki's can be found in egypt, saudia arabia, syria, & many other middle eastren countries, there are to many arabic websites gives a little knowledge about them "only the needed information about food & nestbox sizes".

Which I find very interesting.
Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject:

well thats a surprise steptoe, i am not very updated in geographical stuff but i certainly didnt picture them in Egypt or Israel.. weird

pabloc, Id already heard they were like this but its funnier when you see it yourself
im a bit worried..today my kikes droppings are green and more liquid than usual, yesterday i gave him a mixture of cucumber, maize and some lettuce..but he didnt ate that much.. ive also noticed he drinks the whole water bowl..by night its empty. he has another one just in case.. and he normaly has his feathers standing up, i dont know if hes sick...

what do you think?
thanks!
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject:

Hi!

is he very lethargic, or he simply ruffles up the feathers and takes a nap during the day?
If you said he was already interacting, etc... I woulnd't suspect that he is sick. When birds are sick they are not willing to play, investigate, nibble your fingers, etc...

About the water... what kind of bowl/system do you use for the drinking water. Mine use the rabbit bottles as a shower, since very young. The little bastards have good fun with that. And a water bowl... they are going to empty when they take a bath.

The color of the droppings may change if they eat different stuff, and when they eat more veggies they are more watery, but that doesn't mean they have diarrhea.

Unless the bird becomes lethargic I woulnd't worry too much, but that's just me (I'm a bit laid back now, I used to be a drama queen when I started keeping birds signlol )

Cheers / Pablo

Spark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject:

turns up im a bit of a drama queen myself..xD
Well he ruffles up the feathers when hes sleeping, but he also does it when im feeding him or just walking around the room, but i guess youre right and his ok, he is quite active..hes been following my cockatiels around the room hehe and today I caught him trying to eat the chocolate from our biscuits

For the water i use the typical for birds, they just dip their beak into the water,and as they drink more water comes down, theres no space to take a bath in it xD In fact i havent put any bowl to let him bath yet..
thank you so much, im gonna stop worrying that much about him..
:)
Dura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject:

hey whit the drinking part do you use a system like thes?¿?

http://www.dierenvilla.nl/popup_image.php?pID=4862&image=0

if so i used the model on the left my kaks drink 1 of them a day so the drink a lot but the also put ther food in it that absorbs also a lot of wather
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:

If u have a small bowl or whatever, a parrot will still manage to use that water to have a bath, or shower....washing , bathing is very important for the health of birds.
Watery droppings..no different than ant other animal including us...most changes of diet or new food type will cause runny stools...espec veggies like cabbage, letuce if ones system is not used to those foods.Consistancy AND variety is esentual in the diet of any aniamal for long healthy life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject:

Sorry about the delay! no internet at home for a while..
well turns out he didnt bath but he tried to so he spilled all the water, the mistery of the water has been solved xD Now I put him a big bowl of water to bath but I have to show it to him cause hes so interested in his new swing that he wont pay attention.. signlol

Youre right steptoe, he seems to be having a change of diet, apparently he hadnt tried anything but baby bird food or seed, and even with seeds hes had trouble learning to peel them for the first few days, so not very used to seeds either... Think
Im trying to be consistent as you say with fruits and veggies but he doesnt like them too much, but he does go mad with nuts and honey corn flakes..just what he shouldnt eat too much of! like a kid..

any advise on fruits or vegetables that they normally like?

Ive tried lettuce, watermelon, pears, cucumber and maize. thanks!!
Gee
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject:

"Now I put him a big bowl of water to bath but I have to show it to him cause hes so interested in his new swing that he wont pay attention"

Thanks for the visual Spark, now I picture you with your butt stuck in a bowl of water while flapping your arms... grinnnnnn

Advise on fruits or vegetables that they normally like?

Mine love endive, broccoli, chard, turnip tops, carrot ( you could slice carrots with a cheese slicer, thinner and looks more interesting that way)
tomato and paprika. They eat the seeds out of the tomato, messy thus fun!
From the paprika they particullary like the seeds.
Basil, mint , rosemary and herbs like that are also a hit here.
If you give them whole, not chopped up I mean, it looks more interesting.

fruits: apple/ orange/ blackberries/red currant/ strawberrie and kiwi are favs at the moment. You can make a swing out of half an apple or orange.

Actually the list is endless. Because I offer them a mix of veggies and fruit in a bowl daily.. they eat just about anything I add to the mix.

You could try soaking seeds in water for a few hours or even give Kiwi germinated seeds. Spray millet makes good practice in learning how to handle seeds.

And of course, they always want a bite from whatever you are having.. so eat some veggies or fruit near the cage and chances are he will be all over you in no time.

[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: