Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Help, Kakariki has a limp
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Help, Kakariki has a limp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joneh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Help, Kakariki has a limp

Hello there,

My Kakariki 'Pip' is around 10 months old. Last Thursday 3rd of June, I noticed he had a limp. I have been watching him for the past few days and he doesnt seem to be in any pain, no squeaks when I touch his foot. He only the one foot and limps on the other foot. He uses it when he has to, i.e. climbing up his cage. But I am worried about him, I was hoping that he just knocked it but its been 3 days now.

Any ideas?

I am hoping to take him to the vet in the week.

Thanks
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Its not uncommon for birds to get a limp, espec if they are ringed and/or have any string in a cage of flight.
They can get caught up, struggle for a while then get free before you know anything has happened.
Usually just 'pulled' a muscle or monir sprain and comes right after 6 or 6 days.
More serious breaks and such show far more seiviour symtoms.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi Joneh,
like Steps says, it doesn't sound anything other than minor, My Male also was limping-actually hopping as he wouldn't use it..very limp foot just hanging there , thought he'd broken it but no swelling .so I just kept my eye on it.
Near on two weeks before he started putting occasional pressure to it, figured he'd had a scare in the roosting hold and bumped it hard on a misjudged perch.
Best to see how he goes for a few days and try not to worry..they are pretty resilliant lil'fellers!
Joneh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback,

Today I noticed that he is just putting food in his beak and eating it off the floor now.... whereas before he would sit by his bowl and pick up a seed with his hand and eat it on one of his perches. Also he is pooing just straight on the bottom of his cage when before he would climb up high to do it but now just sits at the bottom and poos.

Hope he is okay, worrying about him.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
when before he would climb up high to do it but now just sits at the bottom and poos

Can this bird fly?
We no longer ring our birds because of accidents....but when they did, the bird could still fly and land on a perch or the mesh of the flight, then tuck their leg up.
A bird that could not usually signifies something more serious like kidney and/or siactic issues.
Note in all our hospital cages, isolation cages, flights, shipping boxes and cages for house parrot, there is 1 dowel ladder...not a single bloody dowel perch.
Only natural branches ranging from 1/2" to 8" in diameter.
Birds cant perch/land well or comfortable on dowel espec a bird that is unwell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Hello, Yes he can fly, I get him out of his cage and he fan fly perfectly fine, but just hops around when walking.... He was flying to the other side of the cage earlier instead of walking, what seems to be easier for him at the moment.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject:

Cool...
Go back to pulled a muscle or simlar
Good diet protein Ca etc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject:

Sorry for the grim message but his poo's stain on the paper are coming out slightly red.

Hope its not something to do with his liver or kidneys? Hence why his putting his leg up maybe? Or it could just be nothing.
SDavies
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject:

i'd get him to an avian vet, where abouts in the UK are you?
ive got the directory of them to the left of my chair
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sorry for the grim message but his poo's stain on the paper are coming out slightly red.

VET.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject:

Hello, I went to the vet and Pip is now on some pain relief, the vet thinks that he banged his hip, but I need to improve add egg food to his diet. So hope he be okay :)
Joneh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Just thought I'd update you, Pip is fine now :) he is using his leg all the time and he even puts all his weight on it sometimes.

Thanks for your feedback :).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: