Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - hi. about my kakariki...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

hi. about my kakariki...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: hi. about my kakariki...

hi.

i have just joined and i would like to say that i have been researching kakariki on the internet for a while now and yours is the best website i have found! It is really good.

i have got a kakariki who i was given as a 8 week old a year ago.
i was told it the kakariki was a boy and i named it harry.
few months later she started laying eggs! i still call her harry as this is what she answers to, but i have decided harry is now short for harriet!

she is a lovely bird and we are very close. she is my only bird who lives inside a spacious cage and comes out rugularly.
wenever she sees me she immediately starts talking to me and sometimes the seems quite clingy, wanting to hang on to my finger or nibble at my nose!
i was wondering wether she would benefit from having a friend?
before i found this website i thought kakariki were better on their own unless in breeding pairs?

thank you.

from lizzie.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
i was wondering wether she would benefit from having a friend?
before i found this website i thought kakariki were better on their own unless in breeding pairs?

He /she happy, got clear bight eyes, active, good feathers and colour, good weight on the breast, chirps away?
There are other posts along similar lines, thu they give more of a feeling they would like another bird, rather than Does my kike need company.

From your post I would say No.
Hes happy? You seem happy with the current arahbement, why stress him out with moving /changing his home? introducing a boarder? And potentual competion to your attention?
Quote:
told it the kakariki was a boy and i named it harry.
few months later she started laying eggs!

lmao so many posts like that, doent realy matter what sex your pet kike is...
Many ago I had a Sulphur Crested, I pulled from a wild nest, in the top of a huge slippery rotten tree in the middle of a dark stormy night, way out in the middle of the vush, named Him Sam, ended up being Short for Samantha.
Not long after that, I found a little green parrot on the side of the highway in the middle of noware, brused and battered, brought it home, nused back to health. Sam never liked him.... jelious. Both where house pets in diff cages, and would let them out at the same time. They devaloped a 'understanding' between them.
Both Died several yrs later....new teflon backing tray in the oven!!!
Note: The keeping of the Kike back then as I did was illegal (and still is in NZ) there was no internet, no info in libararies on kikes, took me months to find out what he even was!!! and when I did, there was no info around realy avalible to say I needed a permit.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Hello Lizzie & Friend

Welcome to you both to the site. I agree with you on the quality of this site. I'm a newbie as well, and I have found that Steptoe runs a first class site.

( An aside here Step... re your " Many ago I had a Sulphur Crested, I pulled from a wild nest, in the top of a huge slippery rotten tree in the middle of a dark stormy night, way out in the middle of the vush, named Him Sam, ended up being Short for Samantha" - what you got out of the bush, I just paid $1700 Cdn for )

Back to you Lizzie.. I have 4 Kikes in a large cage right now with plans for a bigger cage in the works. Because I have a large number of birds ( a mistake when just starting out, but oh well ) my time is limited and my eleanora Cockatoo takes up a lot of it, I prefer to make sure every breed I have, I have 2 of. The demands on me are less ( time wise ) but training etc takes a lot longer, specially when you have one misbehaver in the herd. Also since almost all my birds are of the parrot family, I think they swap stories when I am away at work, and they come out with the most interesting plans... mass escapes, everyone splashing at the same time in the tub, being perfectly silent until the phone rings, then I feel like I'm in a Tarzan Movie. Sorry I digress....

I still manage to interact with each bird for a few minutes each day, and the Kikes are doing real well now that I have quit trying to train them, and am finally following Step's advice and letting them come to me. It made my day when Riki, a RF hen jumped onto my head of her own accord for the first time.

There are real disadvantages to multiple birds ( time etc ) and if it's really working the way it is, why mess with it? Unless YOU really want another companion. It sounds like she's OK with things just as they are.

Welcome again... ther's my 2 cents worth for today

Wolf
Lizzie
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject:

Thnks for your replies.
its really interesting to hear other peoples storys of kakariki as i dont know anyone else who has one here. Infact i dont even know anyone with a parrot at all! (xcept the breeder who gave me my kike, he was friendly and lives by my mum, but i havnt seen him fo a yr, since i got her.)

thanks again.

from Lizzie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: