Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Kakariki Female Puffed and Not Active
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Kakariki Female Puffed and Not Active

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetu_024

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Kakariki Female Puffed and Not Active

Hi,

I have a female Kakariki and suddenly it became puffed with its tail open and pointing down. It stopped being active it stays on our hand and stays still. It drinks normally and eats. What could be the issue?

Thanks
Kind Regards,

TeT
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:

Do you know how old the bird is?
To often breeders who are just interested in money sell off defective birds...those that would in nature have died, and this to the untrained eye may not ne aparent untill 6 months a yr old.
Could be worms...do a site search (search block to the left) for invermectin
Or the bird has been raised on a poor diet and over time these definciencies are now taking hold.
She maybe egg bound, is the lower stomach appear swollen , can you feel a lump inside? again due to long term poor diet.

Check with your local avaian vet.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:

It's better to buy birds by a breeder, then you have a historie about the bird. Now you have nothing, his sicknes/ilness could be every thing.
Like virus, fungus, bacteria, parasites, molting, but in the meantime we know nothing and the bird is usually before you know it already dead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: I have a sick femmale kak.....

Hi ttetu_024

Did you ever have find out what was wrong with your female kak?

I am asking because because my 19 wk old female is behaving the same way, for the last two days all she has done is sit puffed up on the cage floor or on her food bowl, she stayed sat on my hand for over an hour, and when startled she flew off but seems to just crash into the wall and go to the ground. she is eating and drinking well.

so you see my situtation i have here seems to be alot like the problem you had. Also i have noticed that her breathing is a little eractic.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated......
Nicole99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject:

Hi
did any of you find out what was wrong. My 18 month old Lutinon female Kakariki is doing the same thing. For around two days now she has been sitting on her cage floor or on her food bowl all puffed up and pretty lethargic.
Yet she is eating and drinking and responding when approached.
The local vet has prescribed antibiotics but said that birds don't usually respond very well to this treatment and he wasn't very optimistic.
She took some of the antibiotics through her drinking water, but still no change.
The vet said she will either be better within a few days or simply die and said there was nothing much more that could be done.
Did any of your birds survive this ?
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject:

Good luck Nicole... I was told by my avian vet that they will pretend to eat when they are ill to distract preditors from thinking they are an easy target....so it could be a good idea to check her crop to see how full it is... and maybe top her up with some food with a seringe (vet told me to use baby rice) I had a fermale who died a few years ago but im sure she had a congenital problem... she used to lick the cage bars and do nothing else.... when i put a nest box on she stayed in it and got really broody.... but never layed an egg... she got weaker and weaker altough i dosed her with ivermectin and she had a good diet. i had several birds dye in about 6 months and did wonder if it was too much ivermectin as its hard to dose acuratley ... or a fungal infection...i still dont know.......... the only bird i had survive is a large strong male...... as a last resort i crushed up 1 left over antibiotic tablet and added a little to his egg food every day for 2 weeks...... he recovered and is as strong as he ever was.... his new mate is now sitting on her second clutch of 7 eggs... im hoping some will hatch this time as im a bit worried he is now infertile

my vet told me the most accurate way to get a dose of medicin in them is in a bit of unsalted peanut butter mixed with a little veg oil via a seringe... you have to try get them to take it all ......but if she is deffinatley eating...try the egg food thing ..... again good luck

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
joey12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject:

Nicole, hope you have better luck that me, my baby was given antibiotics that i gave her in a syringe, second day of that she stopped eating and drinking so then gave her water via syringe, that same day she died... was very sad..

I do hope your girl make full recovery.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject:

sad to here you had no luck with the antibiotics joey Sad

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Nicole99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject:

Many thanks for the quick replies.
She is definitely eating as I gave her some fruit earlier (grapes and apple) and she is eating that plus her seeds. Her droppings looked fine and the vet did check whether she was egg bound or any other lumps or bumps that shouldn't be there but couldn't find a thing. She seems to perk up for a short while when she climbs back on her perches , eating and playing with me but then appears to be exhausted by that and climbs back down to the bottom of the cage to go back to sleep.
(She is snoozing again at the moment)
It is bizarre, but the vet said sadly birds don't usually show signs of illness until they really are in a bad way and rarely do they respond to treatment at that stage anymore. He apologized for not being more optimistic but he said it is just his past experience with birds.
I had budgies and Cockatiels before but never a Kakariki. I am quite upset as she is so terribly tame and not very old at all.
I would be very sad if I loose her.
Do you think it was right to keep her as an only bird or should I have got two ? She bonded very quickly with me, so I always thought it was right to have only one, but maybe she should have had a companion ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: