Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - 'Tiki' passed peacefully
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

'Tiki' passed peacefully

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendo
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: 'Tiki' passed peacefully

To those of you who read my last posting , my little Yellow crown Kaki was very sick. First was a trip to a bird place on the coast for antibiotics and then to the vet for something stronger and a fluid injection. Then off to the vets again a little over a week later. He had lost another 10 grams even though I was feeding him and giving him fluids.
He was not taking water by himself , or not that I could tell. He fell off him perch one night and I sat with him from 3am in the morning until after the sun came up. He just wanted to snuggle under my neck, which is not really a Kaki trait. When I finally put him in his cage for a bit, he came out from under the blanket twice and said, "Hop up, hop up and then wanted a kiss. It was almost like he was saying Thank you for looking after me. He had not spoken for days.

Before making the trip to the vets on the Friday, 'Tiki' had had 3 fits. The last one had been a big one. Peter got home from work before me and texted to say he was ok, but no change. Just after that he had a fit. He rolled on his back, flapped his wings and splayed his legs. Pete picked him up and said, "Oh no you don't, you are not going to die on my watch. You wait until Wendy gets home." He put him gentle in the bottom gave him a pat and waited for me. I did make it.

Friday was spent at the vets in the Hospital. I rang a couple of time, but little improvement was made. On Saturday morning I traveled to Coolum to see him. They said he was not responding to anything. (They suspected he had a Tumor.) When I walked over to him and spoken he lifted his head a little at my voice and made a little noise, Crying or Very sad , the girls could not believe it. They said he had not responded to anyone else when they spoke to him. I lifted him out and gave him a really big cuddle and cried my eyes out. Sadly there was nothing we could do. The vet treating him was going to come in on his day off and put him to sleep. I told the girls not to because he had been wonderful and it was ok for them to do it.

angel 'Tiki' passed away peacefully at 5 to 9 on Saturday the 18th of July 2009. He is sadly missed by all his family as he went on all our holidays with us and was a very big part of us. He is now at peace in the Balinese garden under a beautiful peaceful Budda. R.I.P little guy we miss you and love you heaps. Crying or Very sad
Very sad, but getting there
Wendo Crying or Very sad
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi Wendo

sorry nobody noticed your post before

I hope Tiki is resting peacefully and you and your family are feeling better.

Thanks for sharing those moments with us. It looked like Tiki was very lucky to end up with such a caring family.

I hope in the future you decide to keep another pet, it's simply amazing how much love you delivered to Tiki and any other bird or any other animal would be in great hands with you.
You are really an example to follow for animal welfare.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Hope in the future you share some other stories with new pets.

Kind regards,

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: