Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - eye irritation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

eye irritation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sej

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: eye irritation

hello
we picked up the first two of our new kakarikis a week ago. They are yellow fronted pied females. They look fit and healthy, active and eating well. However we have noticed that one of them keeps shutting one eye and rubs it along the perch like its irriating her. There is no discharge, swelling or sign of infection but it is clearly bothering her. We have also noticed her tail feathers are a little frayed looking with blackish dusty looking edges. On searching this forum i think this may be a sign of mites. am i right and could this be affecting her eye? If so woul'nt both eyes be irriatating her? have ordered some ivermectin which will arrive today but not sure if i should apply that and wait a few days to see if the problem dissapeaars or whether i should just take her to a vet? I would'nt want to make her eye worse by leaving it untreated if it is an infection. I would be grateful for your opinions. many thanks[/b]
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

Eye irritations need to be addressed quickly as they can get out of hand very fast.
It could be an eye infection or secondary infection due to mites and scratching
Either way invermectin will do no harm...worming /mites is done as a matter of routine for new birds.

On searching this forum i think this may be a sign of mites. am i right and could this be affecting her eye? yes
If so woul'nt both eyes be irriatating her? no

May also require an antbotic cream/injection for the infection.
So advise contacting a good avarian vet

They should be separated and the other dosed as well....there are infections like this that can be verycontagious

Quote:
we picked up the first two of our new kakarikis a week ago.

I would suggest approaching the suppliers
1/ If scratching now, then it is very likely the bird was infected before you got it
2/As routine, the birds should have been treated for worms/ mites when you picked them up

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:

thanks for your advice. Ivermectin has arrived and i have dosed both birds (much to their discust!) I will take them both to our vet tomorrow for check over. If the vet finds a problem i will contact the breeder but i would,nt take it back as we drove two hrs to them and she is a lovely bird, very lively and freindly. The aviary they were in was large, airy and very clean. All the birds looked very active and healthy (we watched them for over half an hour before agreeing to buy them. thanks again for taking the time to reply to me, it is much appreciated
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:

If someone has an issue with one of our birds...I NEED to know about it.
The reason is I could have a problem in an avairy or flight, or even an issue with a blood line.
I believe this would be athe attitude of any responsable breeder, be it a bird , dog or white rhino.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: