Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - bird lost use of legs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

bird lost use of legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatters
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: bird lost use of legs

i came home yesterday to find my male kakariki max on the floor of the cage he had some blood under the left wing which has stopped i noticed he couldn't fly however i have also noticed he cannot walk he splays his legs and nearly slides on his stomach i have seperated him from the other two and put him in a nest box to restrict his movement has any one got any ideas on this if i didn't know better i say he has had a stroke Sad
Tatters
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject:

i am sad to say i have just come back from work and max has passed away and i still have no idea what caused his death i will miss him he was quite a character.
LauraBatch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject:

so sorry to hear about your loss, when we lost our first Kakariki i was devestated
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject:

Sad oh thats so sad......... im keeping fingers crossed my Phooey doesnt go the same way... but i think hes improving a bit Pray

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:

Sad soo sorry to hear Tatters, your head must be in turmoil of questions 'why' and 'how', i know mine was when i lost mt nutmeg(sunconure)..i'm sure people here will have answers for them..
all the best xx
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:

Your description is similar to when inbreeding occurs...
In breeding is not only for colours , but also can cause other mutation defects in all species...infertility, personality, organ and never defects.
Good breeders note these blood lines and cull them out, also if they suspect such trends do not sell on young birds untill they reach full matuirity, culling any that are even suspect.
Unfortunatly they are too many breeders who will sell of anything to recover as much cost as possible.

I would suspect a spinal or hip defect from conception.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject:

thanks for the replys i had a good look at him when he had died i noticed on the left wing towards the top some blood on both sides where it looked like an impact may of occured i have a feeling he may have flown into something and damaged his back in the process but i will never know, the two females are fine no real problems i might get another male for them i will have to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: