Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - A new Friend
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

A new Friend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: A new Friend

Not sure if this is the right area of forum to put this but I have recently got toby (my riki) a friend. I got a 10 week old tiel (didnt want to get him a hen couldn't deal with babys right now signlol) Toby is very interested and wants to get close but as soon as the tiel moves he freaks out he seems scared and I am just wondering if this is normal I now kakarikis are a good mixing bird and seem to get on with anyone the guy i got him off told me this (also the same guy I got the tiel from) Toby sings his dolphin song constantsly and will jump in the tiels cage (when roof is off) but when it trys to come to him he flys away i would like them to co-habitat one day so does anyone have any tips?????
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject:

Give him a little time. I have had Kakariki and Cockatiels sharing aviaries before. The birds are normally relaxed around each other.

Birds also tend to be a lot more relaxed and confident when they have an escape path so your kakariki is probably just nervous in the cockatiels cage due to lack of a convenient easy escape path.

The best way to introduce birds to each other is on neutral ground with plenty of space. Give them time, space and observe.l
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Birds tend to develop territories, when a new bird is introduced in a smaller space it does take a little while for the spaces to be reallocated.
Its often best to put all the birds in a new environment all at the same time.
Introducing a new bird just before dusk is a good idea to...
I learnt this yrs ago when we had a hen house. Hens tend to be very intolerant, even of their own kind, one cant just add a new hen to a group that have been together for a little while. The new comer will get pecked even killed...so any new introductions where done just before dusk, then later that night, she was then placed on one of the lower perches.
Some how by next morning the other birds don't seem to notice the new come much at all.

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:

oh there is absolutly no aggression going on toby is just such a layed back fellow the little bird climbed in his cage while toby was out and toby just went and got in the tiels cage!!!!????? but today while tob was in his cage the tiel (astrix) got in too and toby was fine but more submissive than I thought I thought he would stay up high, you know higher perch and all that but he got lower than astrix and they happily stayed they for an hour or so toby eating Laughing (as usual) tiel gromming (such a boring bird compared signlol) so I think it is going to go well was just a bit shocked by the submissiveness but if thats the way its going to go so be it.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject:

So u have discovered the real joy of birds, the wonders of observation of their lives, like a fly on the wall.
Their individual personalities, interactions with others, alway full of surprises. Se the post on one of our Kikes who counts!!!
I'm going to screw him up in a few months time, put a few more into his flock...
We now have 12 in a flight, no nesting boxes, no problems un less Dad from the next flight gets in there, he goes ape.Totally unsystematic chasing every bird in sight for a few minutes grabs a feed, then starts again...never actually doing any harm thu signlol.
We like to move our birds between joining doors in flights rather than nets.
Got him back eventually, got the wrong one a couple times thu signlol
Yep got to love those birds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: