Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Help asap, fighting males I think
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Help asap, fighting males I think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyGully
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Help asap, fighting males I think

I found my Superb parrot on the floor his eyes were closed and he was falling over on his back. He is 6 years old and was a "tough guy". He talked to me quite a bit especially lately. I replaced the lids on two nest boxes and put them back into a 6x6 metre aviary. They had other boxes but haven't ever used them.

I have found in the past that the male Superbs will fight to be dominant and that is why I think he has been fighting. I have seen them actually gang up on the oldest bird before. Has anyone had this experience?
In any case I thought he was dying when I brought him in the house. I wrapped him in a thick hand towel and gave him "Spark". He is hand reared so I didn't think that holding him would make it worse. I gave him Spark by an eyedropper and approx. 15 minutes later he opened his eys and seemed to concentrate on me.

He seemed also want to flutter- which I didn't let him do for fear he may have an injury. Shrtly after he opened his eyes he arched his back and is holding his head =back arched - abnormally stiff.

I had to go out to feed the rest of the birds so I made a donut nest out of a big towel and put him in one of my inside cages about the size of two boot shoeboxes. I covered him with a large towel and placed him near the warm wood stove.

When I came back he is sitting, not moving, eyes very open and looking good. I am afraid to move him too much.
What can I do with him? He doesn't show signs of wasting, he isn't fat, no diarreah, eyes not unequal in dialation, breathing a little heavy but not too bad.eg, no panting or gasping.
please, should I try to feed him some sort of mush for an evening meal? or should I try to give him more Spark? should I keep him in a heated cage? thnak you for you time, Kathy
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:

U are doing everything right
I dont know what "spark" is, assume some sort of mineral/vitium supplement???
He maybe just beaten and bruised...

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Help asap, fighting males I think

Hi, Spark is a glucose saline mixture that Vetafarm premixes for you to give for emergency care. It is very handy- no guess work. I just started to use it about a year ago because I doubted my own measuring etc.
The bird died last night- (darn it) His eyes were sunken in this morning so I am at a loss here, I wonder now if he was needing fliuds, I was only able to get about 1 ml down him. I gave it to him a drop at a time.
I am going out to the aviary now and worming them, with this weather God knows what is growing on the floors. HIs "poo" was very dark, might be something to consider.
The last bird I lost I sent to Vetafarm for an autopsy and they had no idea what was wrong. He didn't have any of the mega bacteria worms and PDFD and no other signs of illness. ecept this bird had sinusitis. He had a lot of yeast growing from his poo so I have my inside birds on sweet water. This is my first experience with this product. well off I go, thanks again Steptoe, it is really comforting to know you all are here. Please let me know what you think. Kathy
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Sry to hear

I would also be doing my home prevention thing re vinegar and a bit of apple cider vinegar in the veggies once a week
About 1 cap full in veggies for 20 birds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: