Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Male Kakariki wanted in Kent area
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Male Kakariki wanted in Kent area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LauraBatch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Male Kakariki wanted in Kent area

Hi

Unfortunatly my Kakariki Charlie died this morning, she had to go to the vets last week as she had been biting at her wing and making it bleed, she got very stressed and we didnt think she would pull through but she did but last night she started to breathe funny and this morning she was dead.
she was such a lovely bird to have and i would really like to get another one but cant seem to find anyone hat breeds them so thought i'd ask on here
Any help would be great
Thanks
Laura
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:

try www.Preloved.co.uk
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject:

wall i have many but fareham area so too far away d'oh!
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:

We ship 12 kakariki in a box about 300mm x 200mm x 150
by air, courier, and road for 18 hrs, no problems
Guys in Aussie ship 1000s of miles no problems

Thow seed, apple and capsuicum flesh in for water supply.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
We ship 12 kakariki in a box about 300mm x 200mm x 150
by air, courier, and road for 18 hrs, no problems
Guys in Aussie ship 1000s of miles no problems

Thow seed, apple and capsuicum flesh in for water supply.

duno
naughtyniike
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:

lucky you we have to drive to buy our birds!!or a pay a complete fortune for delivery
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah u are right on that....DoC paid to ship ours down...(used for sarogate parents for DoC program for captive recovery of the Orange kakarki.)

Sometimes, one finds a long hual trucking/courier company, they with throw them in the cab, for a 1/2 doz beers. Have a chat to the dispatcher.
Espec if u explain they are an endangered species.

I have a m8 who does long haul...may take a week or so before he goes thru the town...I drop them off to hm when he is just leaving, give him the phone number of the ppl, they know approx time and where he will meet them..sometimes in a neighbouring town.

Have another frend who is a sales manager..often the aera managers have meetings, or he hast to check out out of town branches...so he may give them to another area manager or sales rep, or take them himself

If there is a will , there is a way, it just may take talking to a few ppl before thngs happen....but once u esyablish your contacts..thngs are fine.

Or simply meet 1/2 way, nd st the same time make a famly day out and take in a bit of local hstory or visit old friends....makes a good excuse to do those things one always just talks about LoL

If u use the frieght company containers the cost heaps..but a small plywood box, all screwd together... 30 mns to knock up and out of scrap wood anyway

What sort of distance/driving time is the trip?

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

hi
sorry for delay......... believe its approx 6/7 hour round trip from kent to my area and back,which is ok if you have no other commitments but no fun for 3 young children .....while i have your attention should i separate my young males from young females ??(until the females are a year )they are mixed clutchs but about the same age...about 6 weeks out of nest box i think Think
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Follow up some of my other suggestions...UK is a bit diff to NZ??

We separate chicks from parents about 2 weeks out of the nest...when the iris in the eye has nearly formed....once formed it can be damn hard to sort chcks from parents
We just put them into a holding flight together....there are somew old threads on how many one can keep in a given sized flight...it is a lot if u have fresh water/veggies/fruit each day , good sized seed tray enough perches etc.

Althu the parents in particular the male, gets terroritorial regarding the nesting flight, we have on numourous occassions simply left the chicks in the breeding flight for a yr...and 2 nesting boxes
We have found that the parents re breed without any issues with the chicks over terroritial issues..
But keep an eye on things, other breeders have done the same and had issues.

Keeping a flock of kakariki in a flight is far better for them and more entertaining for you.
In NZ we have DoC regulations that only permit 1 pair /flight.
Being native to NZ we need permits etc to keep and have inspections.
There is a person in DoC who I have the utmost respect for in knowledge and as a person..who was passng thru and made an inspection over a coffee.
He saw our holdng flight..his 1st reaction (body language) was almost horror, and there where about 15 to 20 in the flight...
But intead of saying something he just stood back and watched them, for quite a while, then remarked that he had never seen capitive kakariki kept like that, the amazing condition they where in, and how active, contented and busy they were.... and nothing more was said.

Kakariki are a social parrot.

I have also found, rather than pair kakariki by selection, lettng them pair off in a flight, then put in a breedng flight, we have stronger birds and higher success.

There are old discussions on this a word search ultra violet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: