Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Beak Problem or Not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Beak Problem or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokoko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Beak Problem or Not?

Hi,

Koki weaned about 3 weeks ago and seems to be in good health. Active and eating (or trying) just about everything available.

Her bill was normal. Then about 4 days ago I noticed what I thought was a piece of stuck on veggie. I figured she'd wipe it off. Next day it was still there so I picked her up and held her. I dipped my finger in water and rubbed it on the (what I thought was) stuck on food. She calmed down and this was the easiest it ever was to handle her. I kept moistening the spot and gently rubbing.

When it came off I noticed what looks like a third nostril! This was not there before. Maybe the skin around the nare came lose and moved up, but I don't think so. She seems very normal and happy otherwise. I have no experience with birds so I'm worried. Can anyone explain this? Does she need a vet?

-Ronnie

2007-07-15_XT_005_edited-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.49 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

2007-07-15_XT_005_edited-1.jpg

BIGBADBK
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

If in doubt go to a vet. Not worth the rest of doing nothing.
hilly
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ronnie,
The hole in her beak is not normal but looks like the result of a foreign object being stuck there for quite a while when the beak is soft as a baby.
I don't think there is any need to be alarmed as birds can manage with much larger damage to their beaks than what she has and she looks quite healthy.
She may have also had the hole from very early and it just filled with food and wasn't noticed.
You can also get beak abnormalities from a minute mite called scaley mite which is very familiar with budgie breeders and can be fixed by treating with ivermecten, a couple of drops on the skin behind the neck,
but i don't feel this is your birds problem but if in doubt take her to an avian vet.
Hope this helps cheers Jenny
Kokoko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys, she seems very active and playful. The hole was looking smaller and smaller to my poor eyes, but this morning it seems to have filled in with some soft tissue or food again so I will clean it out and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the insights.

Ronnie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: