Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Newbie--have questions about my bird
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Newbie--have questions about my bird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie--have questions about my bird

Hi there. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a few answers to my questions.
I bought a bird around 1994 just b/c I thought it was very funny and cute looking. At the time I also had a latino cockatiel, Sammy. I brought Kiki home and housed in a cage near Sammy and they got along great. It took me a long time to find out what kind of bird Kiki was b/c the pet store didn't seem to know.
I built a smallish aviary about 5' L x 2.5' D x 6ft H for the two of them and they were quite happy until Sammy started having strokes. I took him out and sat with him until he passed away. After Sammy died Kiki got very anti social... he still takes treats from my hand and still likes to fly around the house but sometimes he's a little nippy when I go to change his food. He will still step up on my hand when he is out of the cage. I put in a stuffed singing chihuahua for him and he loves it...but the batteries wore out and he's depressed again... he's talking to mirrors and continually says "Sammy".
My questions are as follows...
:?: Should I find another Kakiriki to cheer him up? If so than I need more help.

:?: I call him a he but I honestly have no idea. I read online that you can tell by looking at them... so if I sent in some pictures of Kiki can someone tell me if he is a boy or girl?

:?: How do I successfully introduce a new bird to an older bird? He is very friendly with other animals...right now I have my bunny cage next to his and he always goes down there to talk to him. So perhaps the same method as before? But Kiki is very territorial about his cage now that he is the main bird... and I don't have room for another cage that size.

:?: Also I wondered if I could get a yellow one to go with him?

Sorry I know this is long... but I want to do the right thing.. I can send pictures of Kiki's home situation too.

Other than being a tad lonely at times (he humps the chihuahua signlol which is what made me think he's a boy :oops: ) he's quite healthy and full of energy and sass.

Also does anyone know why he is so avid about dipping all his food in his water? signlol He's such a clown.

Thank you very much,
Pepper
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie--have questions about my bird

Pepper wrote:
I bought a bird around 1994 just b/c

That is interesting, we believe there is much information around regarding a Kikes life span,,,,the general belief outside this site is 4 to 7 yrs, I think we believe 12 to 15 yrs.
Quote:
I built a smallish aviary about 5' L x 2.5' D x 6ft H

As I have said before , we in NZ have no experience in smaller flights, but from info of other's post in these forms, u would have nps with a 2nd Kike
Quote:

Should I find another Kakariki to cheer him up?
Well it sounds like u r not the only one who misses his old Friend
Quote:
I call him a he but I honestly have no idea. so if I sent in some pictures of Kiki can someone tell me if he is a boy or girl?

Yes post in this thread using the attachment box at the bottom when u post back.....a reasonable good close up, more or less front on, and if possible also showing the iris..This way we can tell u not just the gender but breed/mutation etc.

Quote:
How do I successfully introduce a new bird to an older bird?
Also I wondered if I could get a yellow one to go with him?

1st off he sounds like of quite social nature so the chances are a straight intro would be OK...althu he could be a little over excited/boisterous. Problems can usually be got over 2 ways
1/keep the other bird in a smaller cage next or inside 'his'
2/Make some dramatic changes to his cage, change perches/ toys etc then intro both together in the evening. I would take this option.
Bear in mind, having a male and female can have consequences, like little males and females signlol
Also bear in mind Kiki is getting on in yrs.
Quote:
Also does anyone know why he is so avid about dipping all his food in his water? signlol He's such a clown.

Do u dunk your biscuits in your coffee? maybe hes learnt it from u Laughing
Thats not a serious answer signlol
Parrots have a high intelligence and memory, from that they also get individual personality, habits and quirks. Could be just 'him'.
Could be a health thing due to age??..
I couldnt say for sure....just assume, I wouldn't worry about it.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Tickle, my male kakariki always dips raisins into his water bowl

Probably to soften them I dont know, but the water bowl after about 3 hours of filling it up often has about 5 raisins floating in it and a couple of seed husks.
ksue
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject:

check out this thread
http://www.kakariki.net/ftopict-134-.html
we have found some birds do it some dont.............My toby is a huge dunker and washer!!!!!!!!!!!only with his fuit and veg though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: