Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - aviary plans
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

aviary plans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: aviary plans

Hi everyone!
am planning to rebuild a new aviary for my two kakariki' and their two surviving offspring.
I plan to have an indoor shelter 4'x6' and an adjoining covered aviary 10'x6'.
idea's for wind shields and aviary necessities would be a refreshing jump start to getting it (almost) right..
Many thanks inadvance
Looby x
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi Looby

just 1 thought, if you are going to build a shelter, why build a covered aviary additionally?
If it's in a concrete area and it can stand rain and stuff, build just a small part covered, the rest open air.

Windshields, probably Steps or some other DIY monster can give you a few tips.
As I'm sloppy I use a thick plastic film. Doesn't look great but it was cheap and does the job.

Aviary necessities like feeders, water trays etc... follow Steptoe's advices about auto-water system, seed tray to feed 1x/week, and a veggie feeder to feed from outside.

In any case, I don't know if you just want to keep the birds, or are interested in breeding. If you want to breed, with such space available you can think of a battery of 6x3 aviares, or a small birdroom to keep a few breeding boxes.

If you look at many pictures of budgerigar breeders, they have a really nice setup.
They usually have a small garden shed and an adjoining aviary.
Inside the shed there is a small shelter so the birds can sleep in a place free of wind, etc... (temperature isn't such a big issue if the birds are covered from draughts) and the shed is connected to the outside aviary via a window.
Inside the shed they have a few breeding boxes to breed individual pairs.

Peter Wouters and Peterlimburg use that kind of setup and I like it a lot.

The day I have my own house I'll do something like that.

Good luck building.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Pab. sort of sums it up..breeding or display?
Will take from there...

Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Steps,

cough cough!

I was trying to send a subliminal message to encourage Looby to breed (well... not Looby, actually just Looby's kakarikis) Whistle

This breeding thing is way too addictive :)

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I was trying to send a subliminal message to encourage Looby

Well get an avairy...know anyone who has their 1st then not move in that direction angel

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Guys!

well Pabloc..Ideally I was gonna leave 2'x6' uncovered purely for their pleasure and cos'Kiki loves hanging upside down, but there are too many pesky neighbour hood cats that wld hover on the edge to claw an unsuspecting kak wall
Breeding: not intentionally,but may need to divide shelter for any squabbles that occur indefinately....
...and t hanks but NO thanks!-MY breeding days are over Laughing

I have tried many ideas to keep the food from waste resulting in various dishes!
however since they're feeding young I have placed a large stainless steel tray making an attractive platter!works gr8..no soiling or spillage..its amazing how much veg they can consume.considering putting a ft frm ground on low tree stump..?

wind is concern..here it can whip up a storm on a gd day....
looking for ingenious ideas that are practical,safe and fun..attractive wld be a bonus
but me babies are all tht..signlol! essensial needs a must..
thanks guys ur Brilliant
xx

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

:oops: :oops: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked <v>
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

Some times happens..keep in mind i host this web siteon a machine in my office...It is what one may call an amatuer 'setup'
Also over the last couple weeks and still happening we are getting temp outages of a few minutes..there are huge upgrades to opitical cables to the top of the driveway.
If the site is down email me administrator(AT)kakariki.net
Occassionaly I screw up a code change or something during maintance...
And keep in mind of international times..sleeping and working Shocked

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject:

yes..most of the time I am 'bumped off' this site...(was beginning to think I must be THAT annoying!...... :oops: )

sure Steps, will also keep inmind time zones Wink

just a question tho, babies are nearing 4wks..she seems to preen them alot..and yesterday they were seen to 'rebond'their partnership Shocked ..do you suppose this little lady is considering ANOTHER clutch so soon?

Ideally -I wished to give her a break now...anything I can do to stop this conveyor belt action?

cheers
Lucie
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Hi Lucie,

from what you say, I guess they are getting ready to breed. Usually when the chicks go out the nest the hen gets ready to lay another clutch. If you want her to rest, I think there could be several options: remove the nests or remove the cock, or maybe place the hen alone.

In my case I have an aviary with no nests and 1 young brother + his 2 sisters seem to be willing to breed (I think maybe it's because they can see the nests on adjoining aviaires?)

Quote:
yes..most of the time I am 'bumped off' this site...(was beginning to think I must be THAT annoying!...... :oops: )

Maybe that's because you don't want to breed, the server detects it, and you are kicked out. signlol

BREED BREED BREED BREED !!!

just kidding, have a nice weekend

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
and yesterday they were seen to 'rebond'their partnership ..do you suppose this little lady is considering ANOTHER clutch so soon?

Yep..got a 2nd nest box there...NOW!
She normally goes to the 2nd nest box just after the chicks get there green feathers (wild colour)
If she decides to lay with the other chicks, there is a good possiblity she may attach the chicks.
Quote:
Ideally -I wished to give her a break now...anything I can do to stop this conveyor belt action?

How many batches has she put out?
We stop them by putting them back in the communty flight.
You can leave the 1st chicks in the flight while she raises the next batch nps..and the batch after that and after that....We have done this several times...the down side is..when you go to separate you cant tell the parents.
But if you use a water pistol with coloured food die, and mark them before going in...hopefully you will get it right most times.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject:

thanku for all ur replies..Babies are a gorgeous dark green(darker than their dad even!) and are doing gr8....and yes, Kiki has started another batch in the box nextdoor,however she still enters the chicks box(i think she's planning a bigger clutch before she broods) Shocked

No start on this aviary lark yet...SO frustrating!..considering the placement of this new aviary and the wind factor I think i may pinch ur clear plastic sheeting idea Pabloc Laughing
(will put up pics soon)..
one Q:..it may sound unnecessary, but i was considering cleaning out the nest box to add new bedding..chick are living in less than pleasant surroundings!..i think it will be atleast two more wks or more till they fledge..do should I??
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Looby,

I have experienced the same, babies being usually slightly darker than adults. But if the parents are pied the green is slightly lighter, so the contrast is even greater.

cleaning the nestbox, most guys around here don't touch the box until the chicks are fledged (take a look at old posts and threads at breeding forum). What I do when I ring them and then again sometime later is to sprinkle a handful of shavings.
And be careful when removing the whole bedding because the new bedding and the box won't be warm and if the weather is cold chicks can have a hard time.
In my humble opinion I think they do ok with the soiled bedding, in fact I start to think sprinkling a handful of shavings doesn't make a difference.

About the aviary... take your time, think stuff and build something that will stay comfortable, so 2 years later you don't regret stuff and you have to fix this and that because it's not convenient.

regards / Pablo

Looby
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject:

much appreciated Pabloc,i will,thanks!
(gonna scan the forum again for any scrap of info i can...)
cld b lost here f'aweek-quite addictive these Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: