Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Baldness Mites and Cysts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Baldness Mites and Cysts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Baldness Mites and Cysts

I have just rescued 3 Kakarikis and they are in a rather destressed state. I have taken them to the vets
(1) has a bald head but otherwise seems fit,
(2) is quiet, self-mutilating at feather cysts on antibiotics for 7days and in a cage by its self while being treated. as I have never kept these birds before I would be most grateful for any help members could give me . they are already showing signs of improvement being given lots to play with and our attention. Thanks!

Muva

Admin: Thread Copied here for future reference, and posts edited for clairity on subject
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:

Read thru the Kakariki Care Section... Diet/Feeding to help recovery

Have they been wormed? maybe best to get the vet to crop worm them if you are not familiar doing so yourself.
Also see worming in Vets section.

Last edited by Steptoe on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:

From my experience baldness is often caused by mites. In that case “Ivermectin” is the only and most effective component I know. A few droplets every 2-3 weeks during a couple of months. Within a week you’ll see new feathers appear. Mites are barely visible to the eye but the mites inject saliva. This can lead to severe irritation with rashes and intense itching. Scratching of the bites may result in secondary infections. Some mites tunnel into feather follicles and feather shafts causing severe itching and feather loss. (see picture below)
Probably the feather cysts are the result of this.

Diet: I have good experience with sprouted seeds. It contains a lot of vitamins, enzymes, hormones etc and is easy to prepare. I combine this with dried fruit (fruit muesli) and eggfood. Within a few days a bird resurrect from the dead with this diet. l0l/

Peter

feathermites.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.6 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

feathermites.jpg

feature_parasite3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.77 KB
 Viewed:  413 Time(s)

feature_parasite3.jpg

Muva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for info on the mites Peter, I will see if I can get the treatment from my vet here in the uk, we do have sprays for their control as I use them on the budgies will read the lables thumb good tips for raising the dead could do with some myself l0l/ been flat out today on my new aviary. b4n cheers.
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Interesting point Peter raised about mites. I don't think that my birds have ever had a mite problem before but I have had feather loss from kakariki before particularly when breeding. Could there be mites in the nest boxes causing feather loss? I will have look out for mites and see.

Muva, good luck with your birds and w3c. Kakarikis are pretty tough birds and yours should recover with love, good diet, exercise and some entertainment to prevent boredom. kakariki are a lot more active than budgies.

Keep us posted on how your birds progress.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject:

We have never had mites either. I have wondered if Mist spraying Walls floors sand and Birds every 6 to 8 weeks with 50% sol'n of malt vinegar and water (see thread on worming) has kept them at bay also. Flys and other insects certainly don't like it at all.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject:

Mites can be very destructive to Kakariki, especially around breeding time. In our summer months (which in Australia can be very hot) we have what is known as Red Mite. This pest is spread by wild pigeons and is very hard to detect. It lives in cracks and corners of the nest boxes and is only active at night. When the chicks are in the nest it attacks them and sucks the blood from their bodies. The only way to know if these mites are present is to remove the box and place your arm inside the box at night. You can feel them on your skin and the itching is unbearable.
We have found a spray here in Australia that kills them off very quickly and now spray our boxes all year round at the same time the nesting material is replaced. It is harmless to the birds and we spray the entire flock directly on their feathers during the spring months.
I am sure these sprays are available overseas as this particular spray is imported into Australia. It also improves feather sheen after the birds have moulted and is used by breeders who show their birds.
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject:

Yes, we know them as well. We call them “blood mite”. Never saw one in the aviary but we spray preventive in the cracks where they possibly stay by day.
Also very effective is the use of cassettes against flies and mosquitoes. You only have to take care the birds cant reach it.
So far the blood mite but the smaller mites are another story. I’ve experienced sprays and cassettes are ineffective against them. The difference with the blood mite is that these mites lay their eggs on their host. So you need a product that has a long effect to be sure the offspring of these mites is also killed.
There are several types of mites. There are mites who live in the feather follicle, mites who tunnel in the skin (scabies) and in the windpipe.
Sprayers can’t reach these.
Ivermectin has the advantages sprayers don’t have. It’s assimilating through the naked skin into the blood. It reaches every parasite in and on the bird even worms.

Peter
Celestite2004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:

Hi guys - I have posted a couple more photos in the Members Gallery of our 3 Kaks (now named Kai, Kaz and Kit) including a photo of each of Kaz' wings (underside). What do you think - possible mite problems as previously discussed? The Vet is going to wait for a couple weeks before checking them over again- that way she can see if there has been any improvement, or possibly give them some jabs against mites etc.

Have to say I love the pic of Kai eating his cherry - he looks sooo cute! angel

Faye

Edit Admin: Edited/moved Mite pics from gallery to here, Also Created a new Album for Celeste and moved her photo into it angel

Badwing1.sized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.22 KB
 Viewed:  367 Time(s)

Badwing1.sized.jpg

Badwing2.sized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.7 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)

Badwing2.sized.jpg

New_Chick.sized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.26 KB
 Viewed:  356 Time(s)

New_Chick.sized.jpg

Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

If they are, apart from that, in a healty condition. No doubt about it. Mites!
Check out if you see some tunnels in the feathers. (thin line) Especialy on the tail.
In case of windpipe mites they stretch their neck sometimes in an attempt to push the mites outside.
I saw my birdvet smelled the birds to check for scabies so I suppose they don't smell good in that case.

Peter
Allen
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject:

These pics show feather loss that is not similiar to the feather loss that I have experienced but it certainly looks like mites to me.

:fun: Steptoe, you probably don't have a mite problem in NZ due to all the sheep. If I were a mite, I rather be on a nice juicy sheep than on an energetic little kakariki.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject:

No, not many sheep in the bush, few goats...It has to be the bloody Aussie possums the mites like, that are killing our bush and birds.

Yes we do get mites in NZ..it just we have never had them in our avaries...I have seen aviaries infested.
I like Kaka-rikis idea about putting ones arm in thu...there is nothing like practical understanding of what your birds go thru.
I go out and sit in flight on a stormy night...its the only way to really know what conditions we keep our birds in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for moving the pics for me! And for the Gallery thumb
So - looks like mites then.....we will use a spray until we get another vet appointment then hopefully get all 3 of them mite jabs.

I have noticed the Kikes are getting that little bit more daring lately and actually coming much closer to us than before.... got to be a good thing!happy^

As for going out in the storms Steppy Shocked eek!
Love watching storms myself and its a good idea in a way...but all the same...mad-especially in lightning! Laughing

Faye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: