Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Conservation Management Group
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - What do u feed your Kikes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

What do u feed your Kikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclechicken
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Found on another website, poisonous things harmful to parrots, dont know if all of them are true or not for Kaki's....

Poisonous foods

Poisonous food There are many kind of food and materials that if they are eaten by your bird, can cause much harm to your bird. In some cases, even death. Never give:

Chocolate- It is extremely toxic for birds even in small quantities. If a bird ate chocolate it will have diarrhoea, vomiting, attacks and even death. Run to a Vet if your bird eats accidentally chocolate or it can be too late.

Avocado- It is a delicious fruit for humans, but it can cause the death of your bird, many cases are known in Vet literature, so, never take the chance!

Onions- It is not really proved that it can cause any harm, but it was seeing that some birds had serious problems with onions. So, why give onions if you have so many other fruits to feed him?

Milk- It won’t be good for your bird to drink milk, it contains lactose and it can cause serious problems to its health. So, don’t give milk! You can give white cheese as a complement of calcium for your bird. But give just small quantities. (Saying this though, cheese in any quantity can cause an Impacted Crop in birds, resulting in health problems, even death)

Eggs- Never give eggs, you can give boiled eggs, but just the yolk!

Alcohol- Obviously can’t be given! Under on circumstances, not even a single drop!

Rubber- Toys made of soft rubber can be dangerous because the bird can accidentally swallow the material and it is highly toxic.

Food with fungus- Any food with even a single bit of fungus can’t be given to your bird. Pay attention when you feed your bird if the food doesn’t contain any fungus, or parasites.

Canned food -Don’t give canned food, even vegetables or corn because it contains chemical products and salt. You can’t give it, neither snacks, salty biscuits nor peanuts.

Cigarettes - Obviously you won’t give your bird a cigarette to eat, but smoking near him will make him a passive smoker, as anyone else. If you smoke, you have to choose between your bird and smoking. They have very small lungs and only a bit of smoke will cause him a lot of harm.

Coffee – many people give coffee to their parrots and they love it! But it is not good! It contains caffeine and caffeine in their small bodies can cause a great trouble. They can have many symptoms of a heart attack. If you have a bird addicted to coffee, try to change this habit for a healthier one!

Soft drinks – They have basically the same problems of the coffee and they have also the gas. So, don’t give it! They can drink natural juice without sugar and it will be a lot better!

Metals- Parrots have a powerful beak, so they can chew some metals, and it can be extremely dangerous! Try to use strong cages, with no paint and no rusty parts. Don’t let it play with metallic toys. Dropping with black colour, a sleepy bird, vomiting can be a terrible sign that your bird is seriously ill. Run to a good Vet and check.

Teflon - Teflon is a highly used material in kitchens. But it is extremely poisonous to birds. Don’t leave pans near him, don’t prepare any food to your bird using this pans. And be careful with a free bird while you are cooking! Accidents can happen! A pan of boiling water can kill your bird in seconds!

You must remember that parrots have a powerful beak and can chew electric chords, and an electric shock can kill your bird instantly. Never leave your bird with no supervision of someone at home. And when they are inside the cage, check if there is no electric chord near it.
Possible Danger Areas Regarding Plants A few common plants that parrots may come into contact with.

PLANT POISONOUS PART
Azalea - Leaf Balsam pear - Seed, Rind
Baneberry - Berries, Roots
Bird of Paradise - Seed
Black locust - Bark, Sprouts, Leaf
Blue-green Algae - All
Buckthorn - Fruit, Bark
Buttercup - Sap, Bulb
Calla lily - Leaf
Caladium - Leaf
Castor Bean - Bean, leaf
Chalice vine - All
Cherry tree - Bark, Twig, Leaf, Pit
Christmas candle - Sap
Daffodil - Bulb
Daphne - Berry Delphinium - All
Elephant's Ear - Leaf, Stem
English Ivy - Berry, Leaf
Foxglove - Leaf, Seed
Holly - Berry
Horse Chestnut - Nut, Twig
Hyacinth - Bulb
Hydrangea - Flower Bud
Indian Turnip - All
Iris (Blue Flag) - Bulb
Laburnum - Flower
Laurel - All
Lobelia - All
Marijuana - Leaf
Mistletoe Berry Mock Orange Fruit Narcissus Bulb Oak Acorn, Leaf Poison Ivy Sap Poison Oak Sap Poinsettia Leaf, Flower Potato Eyes and New Shoots Rhododendron All Rhubarb Leaf Snowdrop All Sweet Pea Seed, Leaf Wisteria All Yew Needle, Seed

PRODUCTS THAT CAN KILL BIRDS

01- TEFLON (PTFE) is found in more and more appliances for the home. It is found in skillets, electric heaters, irons, hair dryers, space heaters & many other devices! Teflon can kill birds.

02- Scented candles and plug-ins have been known to kill birds.

03- Carpet cleaners have also been the cause of death in some birds.

04- Leather Protectant Spray has killed birds.

05- Pine-scented impregnated paper air fresheners have killed birds!

06- Volatile oils and fragrances can cause illness & death in birds.

07- A bird owner used a well-known household disinfectant to disinfect baby cages and thought it was all rinsed off. The next morning there were 37 dead babies. Only 11 were still alive.

08- Scented toilet paper rolls given to birds to play with, have killed birds.

09- The grill on down draft stove...killed 2 cockatoos and a lovebird.

10- A Window Insulator Kit (a double-sided tape and a shrink type film to keep drafts out of your home) has killed birds!

11- Metal (Zinc) on a cotton candy toy flakes off and has poisoned birds!

12- New carpet has fumes/gases (Formaldehyde) potentially harmful or fatal to exotic birds.

13- A product covers stove burners to better distribute the heat. It is coated with Polysilicone lacquer and has already killed some birds very quickly.

14- Organic bedding such as corn cob and walnut shell has killed many birds when ingested. It's much safer to use plain newspaper.

15- Ceramic-top stoves are coated with a substance that has killed birds.

16- Many cleaning products contain solvents that cause permanent damage to birds' respiratory systems.

17- Odour killing products used around the home has been known to kill birds.

18- Avoid new fabrics with toxic substance (Formaldehyde).

19- Formaldehyde is also used in cardboard rolls for toilet paper and paper towels.

20- Insect Repellent caused seizures in a bird...it could have died.

21- Copper wire, if swallowed is toxic, and has killed some birds.

22- Cooking bags have killed birds. A Senegal necropsy showed Teflon Toxicosis.

23- If using sponges with green scrubbing side, check label carefully. Active ingredient is Triclosan and has killed fish.

24- Antique or Imported Ceramics Pose Lead Danger.

25- Lead has also been found in certain plastic toys.

26- Brass keys contain lead.

27- Some logs used in fireplaces emit carbon monoxide.

28- Many toys can be dangerous to your birds...small openings to catch nails or tongue in, loose rope ends to wind around toes and cut off circulation, etc

29- New GE bulbs are coated with Teflon...DO NOT USE THESE!
BE CAREFUL!! There are many more dangerous products that are not listed here.
josy
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

can they eat rhubarb or is this bad for them duno
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Leaves have Prussic acid...deadly poisinos...will kill ppl.
NO

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

thanks for that i think this website is great its so good that you can get so much advice as you dont seem to be able to find any books on kakarikis in england
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

We do our best...
That is the primary reason this site was created for.

Quote:
any books on kakarikis in england

http://www.kakariki.net/ftopicp-3261.html#3261

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

whew Shocked reading that list has made me think its got to be doing some damage to use humans as well, I try to be very careful when tiki is in the room i'm cleaning, this morning I wanted to clean down the kitchen cupboards and wash the floors so I'm becoming more aware through this site of what is toxic to him so he went outside for a while, he loved to too chatted the whole time he was out there, but typical to melbourne it started to rain so had to bring him in, I had the door open so I hope the chemical smells had gone before I had to bring him back in.
DU5TY
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Our male absolutely adores dried and fresh red chillies. It's the first thing he goes for. Has anyone else got birds who like this?

Our pair also get an egg food mix, mealworms, and dried parakeet food. Cutllefish is always available and we put honey sticks in every now and again. They love the sweetcorn and carrot plus have a thing for sultanas.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Our male absolutely adores dried and fresh red chillies. It's the first thing he goes for. Has anyone else got birds who like this?

We feed capsicum in our food mix, a while back a member had a bird die from possible chilly seed overdose...run a forum seach.
The discriptions chilly, capsicum vary in different parts of the would for different vatieties of the same veggitable.

I am not a fan of "dryed" foods/fruit... these are higly concentrated foods.
At best use as a treat but not general feeding.
Just because pet shops market dried fruits, this doent mean they are ok.
Pet shops sell parrakeet seed on the basis it is the main food supply...frankly this is BS.
Even our Kings, crimsons, and lesser degree Burkes eat far more fruit/veggie material than seed.
Think about it...in the wild, these birds are on forrest/jungle, the main foof supply is fruit/berries/new leaf tips....most of what is in the seed mixes dont even grow in this enviroment.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have any shrubs/hedges outside with berries they feed to thier Kaks?
Karyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject:

Hi There

Having browsed through all the very useful information contained here, I did not come across an answer to my query. I have started a mealworm farm to feed to my birds and my fish. Most of my birds love the worms - especially the quail! However I was speaking to a woman the other day who told me I need to chop the heads off the worms before feeding them. She said there is a danger in feeding live worms in that if the bird fails to kill them properly before swallowing them the worm can chew it's way out of the crop killing the bird.
Do others know anything more about feeding mealworms? I was thinking if they need to be dead I could just stick em in the fridge for a bit rather than decapitating each worm!

Would appreciate advice from those with more experience than I.

Cheers
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
who told me I need to chop the heads off the worms before feeding them. She said there is a danger in feeding live worms in that if the bird fails to kill them properly before swallowing them the worm can chew it's way out of the crop killing the bird.

I have never heard of this before...
Thinking thru...we used to feed to turtles and fish, I dont think their stomaches are quite as resistant as a birds crop...never had a problem
I also dont see the meal worms surviving long enough in the crop any way.

As the stocks from the meal farm accumilate, freezing in small blocks makes easy feeding out later...
We used to use a plastic ice container, with blocks about 1cm cubed

I realy dont think there is a problem.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject:

i feed thedried worms asa treat really, i cant see they have alot of goodness left in them, but they do love them
Karyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback guys

When she told me, I thought it sounded a bit far fetched, but thought I should check before risking the health of my birds.
The freezing idea sounds a good way around it just in case there is some truth in the rumour!

Cheers
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The freezing idea sounds a good way around it just in case there is some truth in the rumour

Nope...its just easier and there is less wastage...

Kakariki and most birds need protien, meat, grubs etc are part of their natural diet...even taking from a dead beast

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steptoe,
I read about Paco's worries and your recommendation to sprout sunflower seeds in order to remove some of the fat. I have tried "Search" since you mentioned their was something you need to know bout soaked seeds, but couldnt find an answer to my questions. My question is, can I simply put some mixed parrot seed in some water and feed it to my birds the next day? duno
Thanks, Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: