Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Losing Weight, Various Infections, Losing Feathers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Losing Weight, Various Infections, Losing Feathers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Artifial grass anf forage thru.. ont think a good idea.. thats like filling the oceans with undigestible plastic to get in the guts of marine life.
A4 grade pumice sand...even mixed with forest mulch... or just plane dirt..
Shredded un printed news paper
lots similar alternatives.

Good to hear things are now going in a positive direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

I'm so sorry to say this now, but my baby passed away 2h ago..Sad(((( It might have been his heart. He had, what I figure was a mild heart attack and 10 min later the big one and he was dead in seconds, in my hands...Sad( He showed no symptoms whatsoever of anything, prior to 15-20min before it happened, that's why I'm thinking it wasn't an illness. Now he's laying tucked away on my bed...Sad R.I.P. my gorgeous, smart, inquisitive and fearless little boy, I will miss and always love you! Sad((((((((((((((((((((((
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Very sry to hear that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

It turns out Tiki has avian gastric yeast, so we took him and Ria out of the aviary to help prevent it from spreading and put them on Amphotericin B. I also gave them water with apple cider vinegar in it and food with citric acid mixed in the help fight the AGY. I also started feeding them waxworms and butterworms, and Ria started to put on weight and was getting so much stronger and she was happy. They were eating lots of veggies, too. Unfortunately, Ria died a few days after Christmas. She fell during the night and ended up getting her leg stuck through the bottom grate at an awkward angle, and was unable to free herself. She wasn't discovered until several hours later, but by then she'd torn the muscles in her leg, exhausted herself, and developed a pneumonia. I rushed her to the vet, but the only thing we could do was to end her suffering. It was absolutely horrible! With each breath she took, she cried out in pain. She was so scared Sad.

Tiki didn't seem to be very upset about her death, but a few weeks later he stopped bathing, preening, was barely eating, and hardly moved. He's gotten depressed and hardly eats or moves. His legs are unbelievably weak now, and he constantly looks exhausted. He finished his treatment from the AGY and we had his poop tested again, and they didn't find any AGY. He needs to go back in the aviary with my budgies since he's indicated to me that he needs to be with them, but it turns out Pollo has AGY now, so I don't know if I should. Bah, to heck with it, I'm sticking him the aviary anyways. As long as he drinks his apple cider vinegar water, he should be protected from the disease.
Teddscau

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

Oh, and sorry about your baby, Michelle. It's terrible, especially since he was getting better, but you can take comfort in the fact that it was a quick death.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Wire bottoms of cages... have commented in the past on this, not on getting jambed, but how over time the feet deform a little.

Im not so sure on adding citric acid.. that stuff needs to be diluted correctly...
A better option would be a slice of lemon or orange.. citric fruit if require A high dose...
Note just one high dose is enough, from there normal intake from say an apple or pear will maintain.. the body very quickly passed excess thru...
Consistent high concentrations .. ie citric acid, can poison.

Apple cider vinegar has enough citric in it also.

you may also like to ad a little cheese to the diet to cure/ prevent the yeast infections.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: