Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nervous breakdown
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nervous breakdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainci

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Nervous breakdown

Hello everyone,

Please need your advice asap!
I have a couple of Kakariki and female started to lay eggs in October. It should be emphasized that only one egg was fertilized and it successfully hatched on November 5.
Baby was cute, parents were taking care of him all the time. Both of them have been feeding the chick for 25 days. So I was very calm. Please be aware that I have only one nest, didn't put a second one and female was okay with that.

Unfortunately then on November 30 unfortunate fact happened and baby died because of some accident. I berried the baby under the tree, but ...

First few days everything was fine, but in 1-2 days couple started mating again, sometimes it is happening twice a day. I cleaned their nest, thought that she wanted to lay eggs again, but every time she goes there she has a nervous break down, shouting from nest, digging the nest material and etc. last time I was able to hold her and feed her, but now she is afraid of me.

Dunno what to do. Is she searching for a baby? or what do you suggest should I remove nest? or she plans to lay other eggs and this is just natural "pre egg lay" period?

Thanks wall
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Have not heard of this before.. thu we and most others have always had at least 2 nest boxes.
What sort of "accident"
with only one nest box and about this time the chicks coloured feather appear, the female starts to move onto the next nesting box to lay again. The male continues to raise them and look after the hen sitting at the same time.
If the hen only has 1 nest box, she has 'moved on' from the old batch chicks, and anything foreign in the nest is usually considered a threat to intended or ready laid eggs, new chicks, and will at some point treat as such.
She could have been at a piont about to move on or just had, when the orginal chick died, and combined with the familiarity of the same nest, now confused, between loosing a batch and moving to a new nesting box.
Only thing I can think of that may be the situation.

Remove that nesting box, put in a new box, in a different position.. see if the new box is acceptable to her, let her lay next lot eggs and begin to sit... then put another nest box in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thank you,

I will do that tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: