Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Setting up pairs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Setting up pairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj4tj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Setting up pairs

I have 2 pair I put together 3 weeks ago.They are from different breeders and the males are 2 and the females 1 years old.They are in cages 6ft long 3ft wide and 4ft tall both have 2 boxes.First pair the male goes in the box a lot but not the female they show no interest in each other how ever they will set beside each out but not to close.The second pair the female spend a lot of time in the box but not the male and does all the mating rituals like trying to get the male to feed her and assume the position to breed but the male shows no interest.Should I give them more time, switch males,block off the boxes or something else.Your input is always appreciated. I'm in Oregon US.Thanks Tom
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

We spent many yrs establishing pure breed non hybrid stock by selecting pairs.
often getting results like you have going no where.. and if did, bird size robustness etc a little disappointing.

After consultation, and discussing with other breeders of endangered species we put the breeding stock into a single flight with boxes. Let then select their pairs, and as they did so, removed them and the nesting box to another flight.
We noticed when they selected they would tend to choose most distant related, and produce larger and very healthy adults, increase in egg to health adult ratios.

Back to your post..
The male tends to choose a nesting box,. then IF the female approves of him AND the nesting box , good chance they pair off...
And the visa versa often happens.
Just because you choose from different breeders, doesnt mean that your birds are not closely related...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

So are you suggesting I but both pair together and see what happens? I guess any problems just seperate them back? Thanks for the info Tom
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

yes...
move the boxes around and put all in the flight.. change the perches position.
Basically so they are all in a new environment no established territories, etc.
You may get a little squabble with who is going to have the highest perch type of stuff.

Then keep an eye on them over the next few days / week.
Eventually you will see a couple pair off...the problem is to ID the pair when go into the flight.
I try and remove them when they are both in a nesting box.. stuff a rag in the hole, unscrew off the wall, move it to another flight, pull the rag and get out ASAP and watch from a distance...
Then a day or so later add the 2nd box.

2 pair you will ID far easier, I often had a flock of 8 to 12 birds...

OH a box facing towards the sun (doesnt matter if cant see the sun) tends to work better...facing Nth/ NNW for the Sth hemisphere. I assume the other way around would work for Nth hemisphere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Allright, I will give it a try and let you what happens.Thanks you again for your advise.
cj4tj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: setting up pairs

Ok so I know I'm inpatient but its been 10 days with the 2 males and females i the cage together and my to females are doing everything they can to be bred but neither male shows any interest at all.The females get right in their face bend over make their breeding noise and the male head the other way.Do I just need to wait longer.I have one pair just laid their first egg.Is it possible the males could be to old to breed?My female have also started to try to mate with each other.Will that be a problem?As always all replys are appreciated. Thanks Tom
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

It is really frustrating when that happens..
Either will eventually or never.. sry
And "never" is not that uncommon.

Do you know how closely related these birds are?
In particular their blood lines?...
It may appear that they are not closely related.. eg brother/ sister, or grand parent...even great great grand parents but have a common blood line that has had no new lines introduced for many generations

Yes we had several similar situation over the yrs, being NZ, where these endangered birds come from, found introduction of a completely new line made a huge difference.

Males too old... no dont think so, my top male, died just a few months ago at at least 15/16 yrs went thru several females in his time.
Each female (along with several other pairs) would produce around 120 healthy adults at a ratio of around 80% to number of eggs. Fertility dropped off after about 100/110, by 130 , just went thru the motions, no hatching.
But males breed like Picasso, right thru to the end.
As it happened, the old male above, his last female was same line 5 or 6 generations down, no new blood line , they did everything .. eventually , except actually mate and lay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Setting up pairs

The females are related and I'm not sure about the males.They should not be related male to female as I bought them from breeders 300 miles apart who have never traded birds between themselves but you never know.I will keep then together through the fall and then look for different mates for them.Thanks again for the info
cj4tj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: eggs

One of the females has started laying.Should I remove the egg or just let her lay?I'm sure their infertile because I have seen no contact of any kind with either male.Thanks Tom
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Remove the other pair to another flight with 2 new boxes.
Leave the current 2 boxes with the pair thats laid.
Now back right off from the laying pair, leave them to it for the next month.
DO NOT BE TEMPTED.
Keep up with good diet.
read the sticky thread "what do you feed..."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Female feeding male

I put the female and the male that laid the egg together. Its been 2 weeks and that is the only egg.They are I believe starting to bond a little.One question though the female is feeding the male.Is this normal and is it maybe the male is just young. He is last years bird.The other pair is doing better going in and out of the boxes but the male stays in the box a lot is this also normal.Thanks Tom
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

No not normal.. are you sure its a male?
Ar you sure you have selected the correct birds...even experienced ppl espec if no leg bands mess that up.
Hence why young fledglings are removed within a few days to be weaned by single males in a holding flight... before the iris forms.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

The one feeding the male I had dna tested so I know its a female.The one spending a lot of time in the box I'm not sure but is a large bird,large beak and no bars under the wings.I'm not so sure the latter is accurate.Thanks Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: