Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
Parrot Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Nest Box Design and Shape
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Nest Box Design and Shape
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiki2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject:

i just bought 2 nest boxes off ebay measuring 18" x8"x8",
i have also bought a cage measuring H35""x L27" xD14", i need to split my pairs up as they are fighting , i am going to add a nest box to the cage while i sort the aviary out , this box will be 10x7x7, i must say i think the measurements on here for a kakariki nest box is OVERKILL by any stretch of the imagination, its bigger than a budgie but smaller than a cockatiel , why so big? in the past i have had breeding pairs of , quakers/cockatiels/conures/budgies/african greys, i know my birds, just new to the kaks, so we will see how it goes then, might even start a thread about the move & progression Laughing
kiki2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject:

forgot to add a pic of the cage Laughing cant seem to edit my posts wall
kiki2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

sorry, missed the nest boxes out also, as i said, cant edit duno

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
i must say i think the measurements on here for a kakariki nest box is OVERKILL by any stretch of the imagination

OK you know far better than kakariki breeders around the world with many yrs of experimentation and breeding 1000s of kakariki.
Also note that there are many other things unique to kakariki.. that there nature their diet their mannerism are not like other birds but more aligned to small mammals... because they have, like most other NZ native birds, evolved 10 of 1000s of year with no mammals

Also of note.. have you noticed how kakariki can move up or down the mesh, even upside down, very different to most other parrots species? And how they make use of beak and feet to do things?

These forums and the information in them is here for those who wish to be able t do things successfully 1st time round rather than spend months, even yrs experimenting..Like everyone, you have a choice what you want to do and that of your opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

we will see how i get on, the birds will be looked after well & that's the main point i suppose, i now have 1 pair in the cage with the smaller nest box ( i must add i put the box inside!) & one pair in the aviary ( 6x3) we will see how they progress Wink
kiki2112

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
OK you know far better than kakariki breeders around the world with many yrs of experimentation and breeding 1000s of kakariki.

hmmmm.....re-read my post 3 x & dont think i said that at all duno , i did say i am new to kaks though Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

You are being deliberately confrontational, and posted in such a manner spamming older threads with non-constructive and ill informed comments.
Not a good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:
You are being deliberately confrontational, and posted in such a manner spamming older threads with non-constructive and ill informed comments.
Not a good idea.

im not at all, just cant understand why people wont answer a thread on a dedicated forum ? anyway, seems to be working ok, cock out all the time, hen, well never seen her since i put the box in
kiki2112

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

this is a lot smaller than everyone on here says Wink seems to work ok though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NSWpXv9lk Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

If you read all the information on nesting boxes you will see in the explanations why deep boxes are used.. 2 reasons, and note also the situation to which they apply...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: