Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Male chases female
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Male chases female

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pseudorca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Male chases female

Hey guys

I have a lot of birds, but I'm not every experienced in Kakarikis...
I have a female and I bought a male for her. I set up a nestbox in the cage and I've see n the male go in a couple of times, but the problem is that he keeps chasing the female all the time and she just flies away. Also when they're resting, they stay on opposite sides of the cage. They have been together for 2 days only. Is there something I can do, or is it just a matter of time? I feel like they're never going to get alone but since I'm very unexperienced I don't know what to think...

Thank you in advance =)
Pseudorca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

I meant that I think they're never going to bond*. Was distracted
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

1st if looking at breeding u NEED 2 nesting boxes.
You NEED an large holding avairy for the off spring
you get the breeding right and they will pop out a batch healthy adults every 8 to 10 weeks at a rate of 78 to 80% of eggs laid.
They lay between 6 and 10 eggs.. sometimes more.
And will do this all yr round till get to about 120/ 130 healthy adults and the female tends to become infertile.

It is difficult to stop kakariki once breeding without issues. Once separated and no other comparable female around the male morns the mate and the female tends to keep laying eggs.

Serious points to consider for the future

Route of anew pair going to nest...
The male 'finds' a suitable nest.. inspects etc, then invites the female to inspect and approve. If the female approves of the male and nesting box she gives tiny chirps, male feeds here and she invites to mate...
This may take a week, and initially 2 nesting boxes increases the chances.

If things dont work out the male chases the female, and eventually she hides in the nesting box without and results.. they are incompatible.

The other even more important for 2 nesting boxes... once the chicks sow adult feathers in the nesting box, the female then moves to the next box and lays eggs. The male fed and tends her and finish off raising and weaning the chicks in the 1st box.
If one box, once the hen lays the eggs, thats her new and current and only 'family' and anything else will become intruders and be treated accordingly.
Kakariki are quite defensive of of their nesting area and box. nesting boxes and immediate area around them should be kept out of line of sight of neighbouring flights/ birds
For ALL things like diet behavour type nesting material , feeders , water trays etc please use the "quick search" block on the left.
A lot of reading and even initially dont find what looking for, the intermediate info you will eventually need to know anyway
If cantfind please post

Cheers
Steps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject:

They don't seem to make contact and they stay away from each other... How long should I wait? I also set up two nestboxes like you said
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

If the female is not interested in the nest box, male not feeding her, I would be pairing them up with others.

After yrs of messing around, selective breeding of wilds, we found we got the best birds/ pairs/ results by putting a flock into a large flight with several nesting boxes.
Within a couple days one is getting territories made, bit scraping as they choose their own mates. These then get moved along with the nesting box chosen to individual flights.
Also noticeable was they paired off naturally to as distant related as possible themselves... I believe after observation/ investigation has something to do with shape/ colour and the UV reflection of the crown.
The more closely related the more difficult to pair up. They will get on as 'brother and sister' (even feed each other) or fight, or female becomes intimidated and hides in nesting boxes.. latter 2 the more common

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: