Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - sick kakariki...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

sick kakariki...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBurgers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: sick kakariki...

Hello!
I am from Romania and I have a Kakariki.
His name is Paco.
I ve bought him from a local Pet-Shop.They've told me that he is male around 6 months old [now he is 8 months old].
When I bought Paco the people at the Pet-Shop told me that his nose is running a bit that he is just a little sick because he likes to bathe and they let the air conditioner on...They gave me enrofloxarom and beforvel medicine to give him.After I give him orally with a needless syringe the medicine he was a bit better but still had a runny nose and overnight the mucus would dry and make a fine veil above his nostrils which blocked them..He also makes a puffing sound just like a human who has his nose full.Otherwise he has been and is very active, eating flying etc.
After I gave him the first treatment he was better as I said..but a week after he was again in the same state as the beginning.Then they gave me again the same thing..I gave him like 2 times then went to another vet.He gave me a 4 day Synulox treatment for him.It worked good as a week after his nose was almost not running anymore.Then..well he went back to the running stage [a bit better then the beginning though]
Then the vet gave me again Synulox for 8 days..also some Vitamin C.I gave him the Synulox and 2 weeks later his nose is still running but at least it does not get blocked anymore by dried mucus.The vet told me after that he had enough meds for a while and that I should wait a while.
What to do ?
Also I want to buy him a pair..If I bould buy a 2 month old female, would they stay toghether?IF not what is the age range I could buy him a pair so taht they don t attack eachother?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Never Never buy a bird that is not in pristine condition.
Kakariki are very hardy birds that live in extreme conditions , from snow and low humidity to high humid 40+C degs.
They are not prone to illness, with mites and worms being the main issues (like any other bird).. other than the occasional inherited condition due to poor husbandry.

Never introduce any bird to another without a isolation period ..KNOWING all birds are in top condition and health.

Sick young birds usually results in nil or poor fertility, and most likely nil.

Take the bird(s) back and find a better source.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject:

no option of healing his nose?I can t really return him...we ve grown fond of him..and we really wouldn t abandon him in there
MrBurgers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject:

also would my 8 months male stay without agression with a 2 months old female?what is the age range
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

Bottom line...
Buying poor condition / sick pets always results in expensive vet bills and eventually heartache, often putting people of getting another pet or bird later.

Have seen this so many times in these forums and real life over the decades.

Rather than have the pet shop diagnose or from the other side of the world in forums....I strongly suggest that u consult a avarian vet... and then decide how you approach the issue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

I got the number from the an avian doctor which takes care of all birds from the zoo..best shot here after three unsuccessful vets
MrBurgers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

pseudomonas aeruginosa beta hemolitic.
this is the disease he has..after a the zoo vet made a bacteriological exam.sadly it s highly resistant to alot of medication..
going monday to the vet to see if he will get enrofloxacine or another medicine.
will keep updated
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

I then go back to decreasing (acid) the pH of the environment and addition of A little apple cider vinegar to the food.
These gram -ve bacteria dont like such environment, stop multiplying and eventually get back to safe levels in the body.
This applies to most animals, including us

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

In researching the Pseudomonas Aeruginosa bacteria, I found a 2013 study done in birds that indicated the usefulness of the probiotic Lactobacillus Acidophilus in conjunction with the Enrofloxacine. The study stated "decreasing the severity of infection, enhancement of the body functions of the bird to overcome the disturbances occurring due to the invading bacteria and enhanced humeral and cellular immune responses of birds".
The authors of the study being Fatma Yousseff and Mona Ahmed.
I am a nurse and by no means an expert in avian illness in any manner, however, in my human patients with any pseudomonas infections, we always advocated the use of the Lactobacillus Acidophilus.
Just some information for you to consider and possibly discuss with your avian vet. Perhaps Steptoe could advise further as the more experienced expert.
I do hope your little friend gets better soon.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

my experience is a lot more in prevention, maintenance...
Once deases get a good foot hold, usually because have not been treated early, it a completely different ball game....and one also gets into secondary issues to complicate things even further
In saying that, to provide an environment that is not prone to having the deases get out of hand in the 1st place is an important part of recovery...

So often Vets.. and not uncommon with Doctors also will prescribe whatever.. to fix the problem but fail to tell the people.. go home no sugars whatever.. clean up the mould off the walls, air your house out etc.
Now imagine what would happen if a doctor told their patent to go home and do some basic house work and maintenance Shocked
Yes I have very good friend who is a doctor...and that sort of PR doesnt go down well.

And have yet to hear anyone here over the last 10 yrs or so..ever ..mention the vet to also go home and do basic maintenance or even suggest basic maintenance/ prevention.

Quote:
I am a nurse and by no means an expert in avian illness in any manner, however, in my human patients with any pseudomonas infections, we always advocated the use of the Lactobacillus Acidophilus

Yes I would strongly suggest that should also be followed up also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

You are so very right Steptoe. My area of nursing is home care. I can not count the number of times that I would be in a patient's filthy home and they would be wondering why their wound or illness is not improving. I have actually told people to look at the environment they are living in and tell me if they think this is a healthy way to live.

I have also seen many bird owners while I have been in their home for health care issues, and some of these people had no business owning a bird. Filthy cages, dirty water, no nutritional foods available, no toys to play with or provide any stimulation and worst of all, never spending any time out of the cage socializing with people. Pathetic bird in the corner of the cage looking like it has given up on life.

As you have said in this situation and others, don't buy a bird from a pet store or breeder that is not well cared for or is ill. The store I purchased my Kakariki at has since taken a turn for the worse. While I have felt extremely sorry for the birds there, I would never buy another one from them as I know I would be getting into large vet bills & heartache.

You always give great, practical, no nonsense advice. Keep up the good work, it is appreciated by those of us still learning as we go along.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

Thank you..
often my blunt manner doesn't go down well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Pets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: