Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New Kak, inactive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New Kak, inactive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippy999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: New Kak, inactive

Hi all I'm new here:) I brought my new male Kak home 3 days ago. He is beautiful, looks healthy and came from a breeder. When I got him I noticed he was just sitting there and wasn't very active but just assumed he was warn out from his normal kak activities during the day. Got him home he's been really inactive. But not really shy of me. He doesn't approach me by choice yet. But I give him 'flying' time every day he doesn't do much flying though. He likes to scurry across the floor, and even then that's when I'm getting closer to him. I can get close to him on the floor now and even got him on me hand today and got my lips up to his face to give him kisses. Made him a bird bath in his cage today which is nice and big and all he does is sit on his perch. He doesn't seem to be interested in his toys, if he moves it's because he's hungry and wants to eat then goes back to his perch. I know he is going to take some settling in time but I worry a lot and wonder if I just picked a lazy Kak since he was like this at the breeders house. He has a very large cage. I initially got a flat pack and wasn't sure of dimension so it was a bit small so I got him a larger one :)
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

He may simply be taking time to settle in, thu the inactive behaviour is unusual for kakariki.
Are the feathers in good condition, and with a fluorescence shimmer? Are his eyes bright and alert?
Worm him with invermectin.. introduce to veggies and good diet.
Make use of the "Quick Search " block on the left for more info and how to worm and invermectin... Also apple cider vinegar
There is also a sticky thread "What do u feed..."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

He is active when he wants to be but he doesn't really climb around his cage. He doesn't touch his fruit I give him, he eats carrots and his seed and drinks water. And other than that in his cage all he does every now and then is peck the towel I have at the back of his cage to stop his water spraying all over the place signlol. How do I worm him? Does it go into his food or water? Hopefully he's just settling in
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

The stuff in the water is a water of time money and effort

Quote:
Make use of the "Quick Search " block on the left for more info and how to worm and invermectin... Also apple cider vinegar
There is also a sticky thread "What do u feed..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki General Care All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: